Forum Discussion

Mar 07, 2019

Trunk / VPC Port-Channel not working properly with Nexus 9K / 2K (FEX) : Spanning-tree involved

Hello DevCentral,

I'll present to you an odd behavior using 2 Nexus 9k (9.2.1) with Nexus 2k as Fex on which two Big-IP i4600 (12.1.4) are connected.

Our Setup :

• The two Big-IP are configured in a device-group,
  • Each Big-IP is connected to two Nexus 2k (FEX) in the same aggregate using VPV technology on the Nexus.
  • The configuration match this KB : https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K13142
  • Spanning-tree is disabled on interfaces and Trunk on the Big-IP
  • Flow Control is disabled on the Big-IP and the Nexus
  • The Big-IP are connected to multiples VLANS using "Tagged Interfaces" option (802.1q tag on packets)

Observations with this spanning-tree setup on the VPC configured on the Nexus :

• spanning-tree port type edge
  • spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Observation 1:

• When every interface is up, everything work properly

Observation 2:

• If I shut one or the other interface of Port-channel1 on the switch everything is ok,
  • If I shut both interfaces of Port-channel1 the aggregate is seen "Down",
  • If I "no shut" interface1 of Port-channel1 the aggregate is rebuild and works after few seconds.

Observation 3:

• If I shut one or the other interface of Port-channel1 on the switch everything is ok,
  • If I "no shut" interface2 of Port-channel1 the aggregate is rebuild but packets are not forwarded to/from this interface.

Observations with this spanning-tree setup on the VPC configured on Nexus (notice the word trunk added):

• spanning-tree port type edge trunk
  • spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Observation 1:

• When every interface is up, everything work properly

Observation 2:

• If I "no shut" interface1 of Port-channel1 the aggregate is rebuild and works after few seconds.

Observation 3:

• If I "no shut" interface2 of Port-channel1 the aggregate is rebuild and works after few seconds.

General Observations:

• There is no error detected on the interfaces/Port-Channel on the Nexus
  • There is no error detected on the interfaces/Port-Channel on the Big-IP

Conclusion:

• "spanning-tree port type edge", is not working for this setup
  • "spanning-tree port type edge trunk", is working for this setup

Question:

• Can someone explain what's happening here ?

Regards my fellow companions.

2 Replies

• Hello 0x0ff.info!!

First things first. If your BIG-IP has more than one VLAN on the TRUNK interface, you must use 'spanning-tree port type edge trunk'. That is a Cisco recommendation when the connected device is not a switch but have multiple VLANs. If it was a catalyst switch, the command would be 'spanning-tree portfast trunk'.

Reference

The idea behind portfast is to make the switch converge STP quickly on the interface, going strait to the forwarding state.

What I think (wild guess here) that could be happening is that since the switch is seeing dot1q tags and it's ports are configured as edge you could be hitting a bug/odd behavior on the Cisco side.

• Thanks rafaelbn for your reply,

I discovered this issue in a testing phase, and I corrected the switch configuration after investigation thinking it's was not relatable to the issue... But I was obviously wrong.

To me as well it's look like a bug, since I can't understand why STP configuration interfere in this case.

Regards