Forum Discussion

abhinay
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 21, 2022
Solved

Request for providing help on setting up an iRule

Hi All,

Can you please let me know how can I accomplish the below requirement with an iRule.

Any requests that use any method and have "cs.exe" or "llisapi.dll" in the URI and also have a query string or form post variable called "fInArgs" that contains the string "%3D%23" should return 403 Forbidden.

Thanks,

Abhinay

• abhinay  please share how you test in postman. 
    I've tried and it works if the POST body is raw type and looks like this : fInArgs=%3D%23
    This is what rules I am using:

when HTTP_REQUEST { 
    if { ([class match [HTTP::uri] contains example_uri_1]) and ( [HTTP::query] contains "%3D%23") }{
    HTTP::respond 403 content "You don't have authorization to view this page. Access Denied" noserver Content-Type text/html Connection Close Cache-Control no-cache
    log local0. "deny URI: [HTTP::uri] query:[HTTP::query]"
    }
    if {[HTTP::method] eq "POST"}{
    # Trigger collection for up to 1MB of data
    if {[HTTP::header "Content-Length"] ne "" && [HTTP::header "Content-Length"] <= 1048576}{
    set content_length [HTTP::header "Content-Length"]
    } else {
    set content_length 1048576
    }
    # Check if $content_length is not set to 0
    if { $content_length > 0} {
    HTTP::collect $content_length
    }
    }
    }
    when HTTP_REQUEST_DATA {

if { [HTTP::method] equals "POST" }{
    # Extract the entire HTTP request body and escape it to become a HTTP::uri string (for easier parsings)
    set http_request_body "?[HTTP::payload]"
    log local0. "http payload: $http_request_body"
    # Try to parse type value from the HTTP request body.
    if { [URI::query $http_request_body fInArgs] equals "%3D%23" } {
    HTTP::respond 403 content "You don't have authorization to view this page. Access Denied" noserver Content-Type text/html Connection Close Cache-Control no-cache
    } }
    }

if you use application/x-www-form-urlencoded you will have to match this "%253D%2523"

if { [URI::query $http_request_body fInArgs] equals "%253D%2523" } {
    }

or use URI::decode :

if { [URI::decode [URI::query $http_request_body fInArgs]] equals "%3D%23" } {
    }

and if it is a form-data:

set varB [findstr [HTTP::payload] "fInArgs"]
    if { $varB contains "%3D%23" } {
    }

• I noticed from other comments in this thread that variable name is fInArgs with an uppercase "i".

Variable name in my code has a lowercase "L" -- I must have read that wrong before. If you just copy/pasted and didn't fix it, it might not match because of this. 

Otherwise, I'd expect it to work -- it does in my lab. 

21 Replies

• Here is an example:

ltm data-group internal example_uri_1 {
    records {
    cs.exe { }
    llisapi.dll { }
    }
    type string
    }
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
             if { ([matchclass [string tolower [HTTP::uri]] contains example_uri_1]) and ([string tolower [HTTP::query]] contains "%3D%23") }{

}
    }

For the form post variable, I think you need to have APM. 

NetOpsCommercial

Thanks for your response mihaic.

I see that you have created a data-group for URIs and calling it in the HTTP_Request along with the HTTP Query string which contains "%3D%23". 

Can you please let me know how to use this post variable called "fInArgs" in which I can check the string "%3D%23"

• Hi abhinay , 
    As mihaic figured out his iRule , it should meet your requirements. 
    I want to add only this part to specify the ( Query string name and value ) in Requests 
    you can add to mihaic iRule : 

[URI::query [HTTP::uri] "fInArgs"] equals "%3D%23"]

#add this part after and operator in iRule instead of ([string tolower[HTTP::query]...)
    it is only to be more specified

I think NetOpsCommercial asks for this part , is not it. 

mihaic , Did you simulated this irule and get its results ? 

• can you provide what HTTP payload looks like? 

As far as I understand you need to look for some variable and its value in the HTTP payload.

abhinay

yes mihaic, the variable I am looking at is "fInArgs" that contains the string "%3D%23"

Tried your iRule below but this is not working in the HTTP payload

• Mohamed_Ahmed_Kansoh  is right, we need to remove "string tolower" part.

I only tested that the syntax is ok. The functionality, no. Did not have time yet.

Here is the irule with the variable also:(not functional tested):

ltm data-group internal example_uri_1 {
    records {
    cs.exe { }
    llisapi.dll { }
    }
    type string
    }

when HTTP_REQUEST {
    if { ([matchclass [string tolower [HTTP::uri]] contains example_uri_1]) and ( [HTTP::query] contains "%3D%23") }{

}
    }

when HTTP_REQUEST_DATA {

# Extract the entire HTTP request body and escape it to become a HTTP::uri string (for easier parsings)
    set http_request_body "?[HTTP::payload [HTTP::header value "Content-Length"]]"
    if { [URI::decode [URI::query $request_body fInArgs]] equals "%3D%23" } {
    log local0. "fInArgs : $fInArgs"
    }
    }
    }

abhinay
      mihaic, URI along with query that contains "%3D%23" combination is working but the below payload with the body that contains %3D%23 doesnt seem to work. As we are decoding the query I tried "=#" too but no luck.
      Any suggestions would be appreaciated

when HTTP_REQUEST_DATA {

if { [URI::decode [URI::query $request_body fInArgs]] equals "%3D%23" } {
      log local0. "fInArgs : $fInArgs"
      }
      }
      }

CA_Valli
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

I'm noticing this code is missing an HTTP::collect statement, so HTTP_REQUEST_DATA event will never be fired. 
        abhinay  Have you checked my other response yet? 

• Hello abhinay ,
    I've recently implemented a similar check on one of my customers. Try the following:

when HTTP_REQUEST { 
     if { [HTTP::uri] contains "cs.exe" || [HTTP::uri] contains "llisapi.dll" }{ 

if { [URI::decode [HTTP::query]] contains "flnArgs" }{ 
         set value [findstr [URI::decode [HTTP::query] "flnArgs" 7 &]
    	 if { $value contains "#=" }{
    	   log local0. "violation detected: flnArgs=$value"  
    	   HTTP::respond 403 content "Forbidden" 

} else {
         # if URI does not contain parameter, I capture traffic (up to 1MB) and perform this check again on full payload

if {[HTTP::header "Content-Length"] ne "" && [HTTP::header "Content-Length"] <= 1048576}{ 
           } else { set content_length 1048576 }
           if { $content_length > 0} { HTTP::collect $content_length ; set checkpayload 1 }

}
      }
    }
    when HTTP_REQUEST_DATA {
      if { $checkpayload }{ 
        set cleanpl [URI::decode [HTTP::payload]]
        set value [findstr $cleanpl "flnArgs" 7 &]
    	if { $value contains "#=" }{
    	}
      }	
    }

Notice that I'm decoding URI so %3D%23 will be normalized to #= , this match is more effective IMO

CA_Valli
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Oops, you're right - I've lost a couple parenthesis in the copy/paste, also #= should be inverted to =#
        Sorry! Fixed below. 

when HTTP_REQUEST { 
         if { [HTTP::uri] contains "cs.exe" || [HTTP::uri] contains "llisapi.dll" }{ 

if { [URI::decode [HTTP::query]] contains "flnArgs" }{ 
             set value [findstr [URI::decode [HTTP::query]] "flnArgs" 7 &]
        	 if { $value contains "=#" }{
        	 }  
        	} else {
             # if URI does not contain parameter, I capture traffic (up to 1MB) and perform this check again on full payload

} else { set content_length 1048576 }
               if { $content_length > 0} { HTTP::collect $content_length ; set checkpayload 1 }

}
          }
        }
        when HTTP_REQUEST_DATA {
          if { $checkpayload }{ 
            set cleanpl [URI::decode [HTTP::payload]] 
            set value [findstr $cleanpl "flnArgs" 7 &]
        	if { $value contains "=#" }{
        	}
          }	
        }

seems to work in my lab

Dec 21 20:14:52 bigip info tmm6[11336]: Rule /Common/iRule_DC <HTTP_REQUEST>: violation detected: flnArgs===#
        Dec 21 20:14:55 bigip info tmm[11336]: Rule /Common/iRule_DC <HTTP_REQUEST_DATA>: violation detected: flnArgs===#

• abhinay  please share how you test in postman. 
    I've tried and it works if the POST body is raw type and looks like this : fInArgs=%3D%23
    This is what rules I am using:

when HTTP_REQUEST { 
    if { ([class match [HTTP::uri] contains example_uri_1]) and ( [HTTP::query] contains "%3D%23") }{
    log local0. "deny URI: [HTTP::uri] query:[HTTP::query]"
    }
    if {[HTTP::method] eq "POST"}{
    # Trigger collection for up to 1MB of data
    } else {
    set content_length 1048576
    }
    # Check if $content_length is not set to 0
    if { $content_length > 0} {
    HTTP::collect $content_length
    }
    }
    }
    when HTTP_REQUEST_DATA {

set http_request_body "?[HTTP::payload]"
    log local0. "http payload: $http_request_body"
    if { [URI::query $http_request_body fInArgs] equals "%3D%23" } {
    } }
    }

if you use application/x-www-form-urlencoded you will have to match this "%253D%2523"

if { [URI::query $http_request_body fInArgs] equals "%253D%2523" } {
    }

or use URI::decode :

if { [URI::decode [URI::query $http_request_body fInArgs]] equals "%3D%23" } {
    }

and if it is a form-data:

set varB [findstr [HTTP::payload] "fInArgs"]
    if { $varB contains "%3D%23" } {
    }

abhinay

mihaic, small change in URI from "cs.exe" to "/cs". I dont mind having two different iRules for GET and POST.

Below GET is working abosultely fine

ltm data-group internal uri_list {
      records {
      /cs { }
      llisapi.dll { }
      }
      type string
      }

when HTTP_REQUEST {
      if { ([matchclass [string tolower [HTTP::uri]] contains uri_list]) and ( [HTTP::query] contains "%3D%23") }{
      HTTP::respond 403 content "Forbidden" "Content-Type" "text/html"

}
      }

For POST, I have verified internally and got the postman and see that the key is "_fInArgs=" and it should contain "=#". I have modified your iRule with these values but still fails.

The Postman body is below. Please let me know if anything else is needed.

"body": {
      					"mode": "urlencoded",
      					"urlencoded": [
      						{
      							"key": "_ApiName",
      							"value": "foo",
      							"type": "default"
      						},
      						{
      							"key": "_fInArgs=",
      							"value": "A<1,?,'_ApiName'='SessionFree','_ConnectionName'=#AAAA>",
      							"type": "default"
      						}
      					]
      				},
  • from what you shared  the the key is "_fInArgs= " and the value is not what you asked for . it is not "%3D%23"

"key": "_fInArgs=",
    							"value": "A<1,?,'_ApiName'='SessionFree','_ConnectionName'=#AAAA>",

the format you shared seems to be a JSON 

try to put something from the value.

abhinay

mihaic Thats right Sorry for the confusion, an Internal team was testing this earlier. I got the Postman file from them and checked that the key and value were different. 

I already made changes and tested for body with "_fInArgs=" that contains "=#" which did not work tried "_fInArgs=" that contains "SessionFree" which did not work either. your help will be appreciated.

when HTTP_REQUEST_DATA {

if { [URI::decode [URI::query $request_body _fInArgs=]] contains "=#" } {
      log local0. "_fInArgs= : $_fInArgs="
      HTTP::respond 403 content "Forbidden" "Content-Type" "text/html"
      }
      }
      }

• for it works this:

set token [lindex [ regexp -inline -- {"value": "(.+)"} [HTTP::payload] ] 1]
    if { $token contains "SessionFree" } {
    log local0. "token: $token"
    } }

But the problem is that it checkes everything starting teh first "value" it finds till the end.

I could not yet do a search only for key "_fInArgs=" and match only something in its value.

As this is a json format, we need a way to parse json.

• here is a better way.

set varB [findstr [HTTP::payload] "fInArgs=" 33 type]
    if { $varB contains "SessionFree" } {
    }

I've managed to extract the value field.

This works for me.