Forum Discussion

Geir_Sandbu_342
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 19, 2018

Portal access list issues

Hi all

I have configured a Webtop for a customer with 2 portal access list objects. One of them is working like a charm, but the other is not very cooperative.

Both access list objects are configured like this using the IP-address as application URI:

When choosing the portal access list object I get a HTTP 404 in return.

I thought maybe the URL had to be part of the request from Big IP and tried this configuration instead. I also added the example.abc.com and IP address in the hosts configuration file:

And now I get this error message: This configuration also gives me a strange log message: "1 can not be resolved."

Does anyone know what I have done wrong? Could the reason be that we are using route domains?

Regards Geir

8 Replies

• Check the DNS configuration on F5 under System > Configuration > Device > DSN , and add you AD as a DNS server . confirm that this portal hostname is resolvable by using DIG or host command from F5's cli.

• Thanks for the quick reply. The portal hostname is not a public URL so the only way to reach it is using one of the customers DNS servers.

Using DIG to resolve the hostname works, but I have to do the command within the customer route domain (rdexec 1 dig dns_server hostname). And the DNS servers configuration doesn't work if the DNS servers are not reachable through route domain 0.

Or is it something I have missed entirely?

Regards Geir

• Add IP address for that hostname as an entry in the BIGIP host configuration under System > Configuration > Device > Hosts , then use Curl in both cases ( Portal IP address , Portal FQDN ) and check if the response is different .

• Curl with the portal FQDN works fine when the hostname is entered in the hosts file. But I get a 404 when trying to Curl the ip-address.

• Great , so your first guess that the backend is not accepting requests with IP address as a host , so now try to access the portal access after adding the static entry in the host file.

• Great , so your first guess that the backend is not accepting requests with IP address as a host , so now try to access the portal access after adding the static entry in the host file.