Forum Discussion

Balazs_Kelemen
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 21, 2024

BigIP Linux command line client

Hi,

Our company is using BigIP, but I use Linux. I found out, while Linux is supported, it requires a rather complicated (and maybe outdated) set of dependencies. I'm not even sure I want to use GUI on my machine (e.g. for testing stuff).

My question is whether BigIP has a headless console variant? Alternatively is there a documentation how to get around using openVPN instead or maybe compile BigIP from source?

Thanks,

Balazs

5 Replies

• Balazs_Kelemen My mistake, you are referring to your personal machine and the the F5 that you manage. I do not believe an alternate application option exists for openVPN and connecting to the F5 VPN but I could be wrong.

• Balazs_Kelemen I do not believe any such option exists and the base Linux OS is made specifically to work with the F5 OS that runs on top of it. The GUI is actually pretty efficient and not riddle with bugs like a lot of devices that the GUI is a after thought. Now nothing is wrong with using the CLI in certain instances but for the most part the GUI is where you should try and live on the F5. Some things are easier and quicker to validate through CLI as well as quicker in creating configuration that follows an existing item as a template by using the following command.

load sys config from-terminal merge

This is a very powerful command and it can cause issues for you if used incorrectly but it makes creating massive amounts of configuration quick. Any particular reason you are GUI adverse for the F5 devices?

Balazs_Kelemen
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

I don't know what to say about this answer. Maybe this was not an answer at all?

Maybe anyone else?

LiefZimmerman
        Icon for Admin rankAdmin

Balazs_Kelemen - welcome to the DevCentral community!

Paulius and other MVP's tend to have years of experience and engagement in this community.
        You can get a decent impression about "tenure" and levels of engagement by understanding the ranks shown next to each member. DevCentral Community Rankings Explained

Might be a bit obfuscated (for the sake of whimsy) but anyone over Cumulus can be fairly judged NOT to be GenAI. ;D

Cheers.