Forum Discussion

sheikh_316862
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 22, 2019

Upgrade Queries of F5

We are planning an F5 upgrade from 12.1.2 build 1.0.271 and below are my queries.

1.Shall we direct upgrade to point release version 13.0.0 Build 2.0.1671

2.Is licensee Reactivation required as my service check date is old to release of new version.

3.Currently F5 ltm box is running with 3 partions HD 1.1 HD 1.2 and HD 1.3 and my old version of software 11.5.4 is installed on HD 1.1.Incase of upgrade do i need to delete the software of HD 1.1. or i can directly install the new upgraded image and hotfix and will it overight the old image.

4.If i will execute (tmsh show ltm pool /*/* members | grep "Pool:|Avail|State|Current Active" > /shared/upgrade_backup/pre-check.txt ) and the same command will give me the status of available pool during the pre and post check. Is there have any same kind of command set which will help

me to check the status of virtual ips and node during the pre and post check

3 Replies

• We are planning an F5 upgrade from 12.1.2 build 1.0.271 and below are my queries.

Shall we direct upgrade to point release version 13.0.0 Build 2.0.1671

It's recommended to upgrade to a Long-Term Stability Release. I would recommend upgrading to 13.1.1. For more information about Major Release and Long-Term Stability Releases see:

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K5903

Is licensee Reactivation required as my service check date is old to release of new version.

Yes, the license reactivation is required. It's also a best practice to always reactivate the license before upgrading.

Currently F5 ltm box is running with 3 partions HD 1.1 HD 1.2 and HD 1.3 and my old version of software 11.5.4 is installed on HD 1.1.Incase of upgrade do i need to delete the software of HD 1.1. or i can directly install the new upgraded image and hotfix and will it overight the old image.

Yes, you can select the HD 1.1 volume and install the new version on that volume. You can select any inactive volume to install a new software version.

If i will execute (tmsh show ltm pool // members | grep "Pool:|Avail|State|Current Active" > /shared/upgrade_backup/pre-check.txt ) and the same command will give me the status of available pool during the pre and post check. Is there have any same kind of command set which will help me to check the status of virtual ips and node during the pre and post check

When upgrading I always use the WebUI and go to Local Traffic > Network Map > Show Summary and take a screenshot. But I just noticed this doesn't seem possible anymore in 14.x, but when upgrading to 13.x you could still use this.