Forum Discussion

Alex_Ng
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 26, 2023
Solved

Upgrade to 15.1.10

Hi,

I want to upgrade my BIG-IP to 15.1.10.

In previous version upgrade, there is option for Install Configuration (Yes/No) and I can select Source Volume. However, in 15.1.10, I cannot select Source Volume after I  select Install Configuation to Yes. Is it normal?

Regards

• Hello Alex_Ng ,

Sometimes this happens , don't worry you can solve it.

1. Open bigip Cli , after installing .ISO file in the bootlocation.

2. use this command on bash:
      cpcfg --source=SLOT --reboot <destination_location>

For Example if you upgrade from HD1.2 to HD1.3 , this command should be like below : 
      cpcfg --source=HD1.2 --reboot HD1.3​

Doing that will copy configs from old to new bootlocation then reboot from the new one.

you will find more options here : https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K14724

5 Replies

• Hello Alex_Ng ,

Sometimes this happens , don't worry you can solve it.

1. Open bigip Cli , after installing .ISO file in the bootlocation.

2. use this command on bash:
      cpcfg --source=SLOT --reboot <destination_location>

For Example if you upgrade from HD1.2 to HD1.3 , this command should be like below : 
      cpcfg --source=HD1.2 --reboot HD1.3​

Doing that will copy configs from old to new bootlocation then reboot from the new one.

you will find more options here : https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K14724

•  

Alex_Ng 

If you haven't made any configuration changes since you installed the new code version you don't have to select that because it automatically installs the configuration from the current saved configuration. The source volume is really only necessary if you made changes from when you installed the new code version to when you are rebooting into that volume. You can go into the CLI and run the command in the following article which will achieve the same thing as the GUI.

https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K60339442

You are looking for section "Reboot to the newly updated or upgraded software volume" step 3 which should be the following command.

cpcfg --source=<volume name to copy the configuration from> <newly installed software volume>

• Hello,

Adding to the above response, this option (install config) is only available when you are upgrading your software version. booting from an older version to a new one.

as per the screenshot, you are running software version 15.1.8 and going to 15.1.1 which is downgrade actually. And installation the config is only supported when you are upgrading the software version not downgrading the version.

Example:

if you are going to version 16.x, the install config option will be available and you can select it. else, any other version prior to 15.1.8, this option will not be available.

I hope the reason is clear now.

Thanks,

Mohamed Salah

Alex_Ng
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hi,

It is not a downgrade. It is a upgrade from 15.1.8 to 15.1.10. It is why I have hesitation to upgrade it. I am afaid that it will boot up 15.1.10 without any configuration.

Regards,

Alex

• Hi Alex,

Ahh, sorry my bad, I thought it was version 15.1.1. Anyway, I tried to upgrade to the same version in my lab (and my current running version is 15.1.8), and I faced the same behavior that you shared in the screenshot. The source volume has an empty list.

as mentioned before, installing config is only supported in upgrading the version, so it should work fine. I opened the bug tracker and searched for "boot locaiton" and filtered with version 15, and found the below BUGID.

https://cdn.f5.com/product/bugtracker/ID1349933.html

Symptoms:

When using the GUI to switch boot locations to BIG-IP 15.1.0 or a later release in the 15.1.x branch of software from a previous 15.1.x software version, the "Install Configuration" option may not work properly, and may either:

- show a blank list of source boot volumes
        - show an incomplete or incorrect list of source boot volumes

Impact

The "Install Configuration" option does not show the correct set of source volumes for copying configuration to a target boot location.

So as Mohamed_Ahmed_Kansoh mentioned in his reply, you can go with the cpcfg using the CLI command. It worked for me, and I hope it will work for you as well.

Thanks,

Mohamed Salah