Forum Discussion

Aurel
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Sep 25, 2019
Solved

upgrade existing BIGIP VE on AWS ?

Hi there,

A lot of docs available about cloud deployment, but nothing that i have notice about simply upgrading an existing AWS BIG-IP VE.

BIG-IP GUI allow me to upload the image, but then nothing is displayed except on SSH where the image is present.

If anyone has found how to install from CLI an AWS image, please let me know.

Best regards

Aurel

• thanks Samir, support told me that upgrade of AWS BIG-IP require a regular iso file.

AWS-Cloud images are for new installation only. It's a pity that i need support to get this information, and not inside a readme file on the download site.

3 Replies

• Suggest you to raise F5 support case for AWS + F5 Image compatibility matrix else it will be difficult to rollback.

• thanks Samir, support told me that upgrade of AWS BIG-IP require a regular iso file.

AWS-Cloud images are for new installation only. It's a pity that i need support to get this information, and not inside a readme file on the download site.

Jeff_Giroux_F5
      Ret. Employee

You can use cloud images for existing installations too...just depends on setup and where you store the config...infrastructure as code. If latter, you can deploy a new instance with new BIG-IP version then have it pull down your IaC configs...but that has a requirement on in-house tooling and proper stuff setup. But, just wanted to clarify that cloud images are not just for new.

As it relates to general upgrade VE docs, take a look here: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K84205182

Noted previously, a VE in a public cloud can be upgraded just like a VE anywhere else depending upon enough disk space and the right image. That being said, you can upgrade the normal method of ISO upload...or you can review the AWS upgrade chapters which give you some scripted ways to redeploy templates. Good luck!

Make sure to reach out to your local F5 account team too to get in touch with the SE to help answer any additional questions for you.