Forum Discussion

Mar 19, 2019

Issue wih BIG-IP upgrade (12.1.2 to 14.0.0.4)

Today, we upgraded a BIG-IP cluster (mode Active/Active) from version 12.1.2 to version 14.0.0.4. After the upgrade, almost all applications start to fail intermittently with an error ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE. The problem ocurred ONLY in Chrome browser, and in Firefox, Opera and Edge everything worked fine. There is no error in LTM logs. Someone has experienced this problem?

2 Replies

• I have not seen this issue.

However, I would start by checking your iRules. For example do you have a HTTP_RESPONSE event containing multiple re-directs for a single IF condition?

• After some research on the Internet we found that the error was possibily related with some null characters in HTTP reponse, more specifically in HTTP headers. So we did a packet capture and found out that the BIG-IP system was sending the following Set-Cookie header filled with nulls:

Set-Cookie: f5_cspm=1234\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\000;\r\n

Since this cookie is related to the AVR feature, we disabled the HTTP analytics on all virtual servers that had this enabled, to force the BIG-IP system stop to sending this Set-Cookie. After this, we tried the upgrade again and the upgrade worked perfectly and the error ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE did not ocurred anymore on Chrome browsers.

As a second test (for confirmation), after the upgrade we enabled the HTTP analytics profile again in some virtual servers and the issue happened again: the applications start to fail in Chrome browsers with an error message of ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE.

So, I think is a somekind of bug in the BIG-IP for this version.