Forum Discussion

Bartek
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Sep 29, 2022
Solved

Install status audited on boot location where I try to install new software

Hi,

I'm trying to install 16.1.3.1 over a Boot Location where 13.1.3.6 was some time ago (I do have 3 boot locations over all). Once the image gets tested it does not install as it should but instead the old software version goes into "Audited" status with not progress whatsoever. This lasts indefinetly (or at least it did not change after several hours today...).

I'm upgrading from 16.1.2.2 to 16.1.3.1

I rebooted the box, It went back to normal but once I tried to install new soft again it once more gets stuck in audited.

Also - it seems that the device makes a local copy of the image as I'm quite sure I deleted the local copy of 13.1.3.6 from the device before I reattempted the installation. (see screenshot).

No entries are appearing in the liveinstall.log and when I do show sys software it does show the audited status:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sys::Software Status
Volume Product Version Build Active Status Allowed Version
HD1.1 BIG-IP 13.1.3.6 0.0.4 no audited yes
HD1.2 BIG-IP 14.1.4.4 0.0.4 no complete yes
HD1.3 BIG-IP 16.1.2.2 0.0.28 yes complete yes

This happens on a VCMP guest. The host is currently running 16.1.3.1

Another attempt at install is not possible unless I reboot the device.

Any ideas?

• A small update. F5 magic did happen...

On one device in pair i managed to install the software on HD1.2, fair enough.

But when I went to upgrade the second device in pair I noticed that it had rebooted on its own... About the same time i rebooted it's counterpart. Thanks for the maintenance windows, because it seems two devices in HA pair were rebooting together... So much for redundancy.

The funny part is that when i attempted to install new software on HD1.1 on the second device (it had the same issue) it got installed with no hassle at all...

So now the only disatvantage is that one device is running from HD1.2 and the second from HD1.1 which only annoys my personal perfectionist.

It's not really a solution, but I will mark the post as resolved anyway. If anyone does have an idea what kind of F5 magic did happen here exactly I'll be happy to hear from you.

Also - what is exactly the "Audited" status - the docs seem awfully quiet about that...

4 Replies

• A small update. F5 magic did happen...

On one device in pair i managed to install the software on HD1.2, fair enough.

But when I went to upgrade the second device in pair I noticed that it had rebooted on its own... About the same time i rebooted it's counterpart. Thanks for the maintenance windows, because it seems two devices in HA pair were rebooting together... So much for redundancy.

The funny part is that when i attempted to install new software on HD1.1 on the second device (it had the same issue) it got installed with no hassle at all...

So now the only disatvantage is that one device is running from HD1.2 and the second from HD1.1 which only annoys my personal perfectionist.

It's not really a solution, but I will mark the post as resolved anyway. If anyone does have an idea what kind of F5 magic did happen here exactly I'll be happy to hear from you.

Also - what is exactly the "Audited" status - the docs seem awfully quiet about that...

• Audited status during software installations:

This is caused by a file present (/shared/noupgrade) that signals to lind (the lind process manages software installation and volume creation tasks) that software installation tasks cannot occur. If this file inadvertently remains on the system, then it prevents lind from proceeding, and boot volumes show the status audited.

If this file is present, it can be deleted.

# rm /shared/noupgrade
    # tmsh show sys software

on a multi-blade system, use clsh

# clsh rm /shared/noupgrade
    # tmsh show sys software

This may help you

Bartek

Thanks for that, however that is not the case here.

I've read about the /shared/noupgrade some time ago, still not idea what is the purpose of it. 

However on my devices there is no such file or directory and the install failed yet again (yeah, I'm doing next batch today and the history repeats itself). 

[user@device:Active:In Sync] shared # ll /shared | grep noupgrade
      [user@device:Active:In Sync] shared # tmsh show sys software

Sys::Software Status
      Volume Product Version Build Active Status Allowed Version
      HD1.1 BIG-IP 13.1.3.6 0.0.4 no audited yes
      HD1.2 BIG-IP 16.1.2.2 0.0.28 yes complete yes
      HD1.3 BIG-IP 14.1.4.4 0.0.4 no complete yes

[user@device:Active:In Sync] shared # clsh rm /shared/noupgrade
      === slot local ===
      rm: cannot remove '/shared/noupgrade': No such file or directory

What I plan to try today is to remove the boot location and install software while adding a new one. 

Bartek

I'm not sure if anyone is hanging on the edge of the seat for an update...

Once I remove the boot location I was not able to install new software. Not on HD1.1 not on HD1.4... I was not ballsy enough to try 1.2 which was the last one unused. 

After I restarted the device, I was able to eventually install the software. 

F5 magic 🙂