Forum Discussion

Ahmed_Elswify
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jul 22, 2022
Solved

Deleting SNAT pools from DNS tab only

Hello,

Is it possible to delete SNAT pools from the DNS tab only without deleting them from the ltm tab also?

Thanks,

Ahmed Elswify

• Hi Ahmed, 

Here is some more info about SNAT pools in DNS - hope it's useful; 

A lot of configuration that you find in the DNS - Delivery section, is actually stored in the LTM config. These DNS sections are basically references to the relevant LTM section. The SNAT pool configuration is one of these sections. Personally I'd actually prefer if they'd straight reference to these LTM sections, but I'm sure they had a reason for it. 

As you probably will have found with your solution, the actual SNAT config was also found in bigip.conf, rather than bigip_gtm.conf. 

As such, no, there is no way you can delete the snat pool from the DNS/GTM section without removing it from the LTM section as well. However, any references to the SNAT pool may be a different story, but to answer that, I'd need to know a bit more about what you were exactly using it for. 

Hope this at least clarifies a few things? If you are interested, can you give some more details about what you exactly were trying to achieve / what your setup is? I'd be happy to discuss this further. 

6 Replies

• Hi Ahmed, 

Here is some more info about SNAT pools in DNS - hope it's useful; 

A lot of configuration that you find in the DNS - Delivery section, is actually stored in the LTM config. These DNS sections are basically references to the relevant LTM section. The SNAT pool configuration is one of these sections. Personally I'd actually prefer if they'd straight reference to these LTM sections, but I'm sure they had a reason for it. 

As you probably will have found with your solution, the actual SNAT config was also found in bigip.conf, rather than bigip_gtm.conf. 

As such, no, there is no way you can delete the snat pool from the DNS/GTM section without removing it from the LTM section as well. However, any references to the SNAT pool may be a different story, but to answer that, I'd need to know a bit more about what you were exactly using it for. 

Hope this at least clarifies a few things? If you are interested, can you give some more details about what you exactly were trying to achieve / what your setup is? I'd be happy to discuss this further. 

• Hello LiefZimmerman,

Thanks a lot, I've found a workaround over that; I've deleted all the configurations of DNS and any configurations dependent on it, then I took a .ucs archive and modified the conf file inside the .ucs (by adding the configs related to ltm) and updated it.
    I am not sure if this is the best approach of doing this, but I managed to load the required configs without any errors.

If there is a better way, I'd love to know it for sure.

Thanks, best regards,
    Ahmed Elswify

• Hello Alex,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, it answered all my concerns and now everything is clear to me.

Thanks, best regards,

• Thanks for the follow up Ahmed_Elswify - it would be helpful to the community if you selected *Accept As Solution* on the relevant reply (or replies). This helps future readers find answers more quickly and confirms the efforts of those who helped.

Thank you for being part of our community!
    Lief