Forum Discussion

Nigel_Oake
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 20, 2020

ASM Live Update failing for Server Technologies

We have recently upgraded to version 14.1.2.3. When we first attempted to update the "Live Updates" they all failed because our Device ran out of space in /var. After clearing some space in /var we ran the updates again. We have managed to successfully update ASM Attack Signatures, Bot Signatures and Browser Challenges. However Server Technologies keeps failing. The Server Technologies section has a red cross in a circle and when we go into it, one of the entries for the latest update ServerTechnologies_20190828_172623.im has "Building Preview..." next to it and the icon just keeps spinning, screenshot attached. When we click on this entry the pop-up advises "Building installation preview for ServerTechnologies_20190828_172623.im... This may take several minutes. Please wait until the process is over", but the process never finishes (screenshot attached).

We have tried re-installing ServerTechnologies_20190828_172623.im, however nothing happens when we click on the "Install" button. We tried to install the previous update ServerTechnologies_20180214_141357.im and this failed with error message "Error installing installation ff80808171c349900172322e13dc005f: Live Update file could not be loaded". Please can anyone advise how to fix this?

Many thanks

11 Replies

• Hello Nigel,

Do you see any errors in /var/log/ts/asm_config_server.log?

Most probably this is known issue, which was fixed in v 14.1.2.4

Thanks, Ivan

• Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply. There are no errors logged in the asm_config_server.log over the last 7 days.

How can I be sure it has been fixed in 14.1.2.4?

Regards

Nigel

• Just to follow on from this. I found the following exception in /var/log/tomcat/liveupdate.log 

2020-06-11 11:45:22 ERROR Transaction:52 - 

java.lang.Exception: Could not add installation, an installation with status stage exists and references this update file 

Any suggestions on how to clear the status so I can update the file again?

Ivan_Chernenkii
      Icon for Employee rankEmployee

Hello Nigel,

I looked at you original post more detailed. As you mentioned, "We tried to install the previous update ServerTechnologies_20180214_141357.im and this failed with error message "Error installing installation ff80808171c349900172322e13dc005f: Live Update file could not be loaded"."

So, this issue looks totally the same as issue described in https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K25037027.

Did you try to execute workaround from that article?

or you can upgrade to 14.1.2.4 and this issue should go away.

Thanks, Ivan

• Nigel,

If workaround won't help, then you can open SR to make this issue more official.

From my side I will open separate bug for it.

Thanks, Ivan

• Thanks Ivan.

Just to update, we have upgraded to 14.1.2.6 and this hasn't fix our issue.

I did notice that although the issue is similar to what is described in https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K25037027, we are seeing a different error code:

Error: Live Update file could not be loaded

2020-07-16 11:09:59 ERROR Update:256 - 

java.lang.Exception: Live Update file could not be loaded

boneyard
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

had that same error code (256), but the work around from https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K25037027 did work for me.

• Nigel,

Thanks a lot for the update. I already opened bug for this issue, but it would be good if you open SR to make this issue more official and give it a push from customer side.

Thanks, Ivan