Forum Discussion

Feb 06, 2019
Solved

Finding Virtual Server/Wide IP by just server names

Hi all,

I have been given a server which was malfunctioning, at that time I wasn't given any VIP details. The issue has now been fixed but it took two hours as the person requesting was fishing out the VIP details.

Just wanted to check if one is given a server, is there any way we can figure out what Virtual Server or WideIP that belongs to.

• Hello Adhil,

I don't know about WIPs, but I think you could track down what virtual server is assigned to a server by backtracking through the bigip.conf file in CLI.

Open up bigip.conf in vi, and search for your pool member/server. Once you've found the entry, look at which pools it is a part of. Then you can search for that pool and find out which virtual server it is attached to.

Here's a guide on vi if you don't feel super comfortable navigating through it.

Feel free to ask if you have any follow-up questions,

Austin

4 Replies

• Hello Adhil,

I don't know about WIPs, but I think you could track down what virtual server is assigned to a server by backtracking through the bigip.conf file in CLI.

Open up bigip.conf in vi, and search for your pool member/server. Once you've found the entry, look at which pools it is a part of. Then you can search for that pool and find out which virtual server it is attached to.

Here's a guide on vi if you don't feel super comfortable navigating through it.

Feel free to ask if you have any follow-up questions,

Austin

Matt_Kivela
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

My assumption:

You have backend server IP, want to determine what on F5 uses it.

GUI: Go Local Traffic Manager -- Network Map and just search for the IP.

LTM CLI:

tmsh list ltm pool one-line | grep IPaddress

tmsh list ltm virtual one-line | grep PoolFromAbove

GTM/BigDNS CLI:

tmsh list gtm pool one-line | grep VirtualServerFromAbove

tmsh list gtm wideIP one-line | grep PoolFromLastCommand

Hopefully I didn't typo any of those.

wlopez
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

If you have a basic setup of virtual servers with a default pool on each without any iRules to select non-default pools, your quickest option is to go to web interface:

Local Traffic --> Network Map, and do a search for the IP address

• You can try the below command, it will give you the info about the IP and where it is being used.

grep -r "x.x.x.x" /config/partitions/*

x.x.x.x : IP address you want to search