Forum Discussion

rb1980_75708
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 14, 2010

ESI processing on WA

In working on an issue I mentioned in a previous post, I realized that I might be able to accomplish the same thing using ESI variables.

I am completely foreign to ESI and never messed with it before, so decided to start tinkering with it behind WA. Unfortunately, I am not able to make even the simplest example work.

What am I missing? The docs seem pretty straight-forward:

"If the response includes an ESI Surrogate-Control header, the
WebAccelerator system performs ESI processing as part of the assembly
and applies any associated lifetime rules and parameter substitutions
configured for the node, and then sends the response to the client."
CHECK, got that.

I just have a simple one-line ESI page being served up from Apache:

This is the req/resp direct from origin:

GET http://mydomain.com/esi/esi_test1.html HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/xaml+xml, application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/x-ms-xbap, application/x-ms-application, application/x-silverlight, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, */*
Accept-Language: en-us
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6; robbrown; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Windows-Media-Player/10.00.00.3990; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: Keep-Alive
Host: mydomain.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 01:48:44 GMT
Server: Apache
Surrogate-Control: max-age=120,content="ESI/1.0"
Cache-Control: max-age=120
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: 39

Now, when I put WA in front of this and request the same page, it just spins, and I see this in the pvac.log:

May 13 18:41:03 local/webacc00 debug WA Debug ( 3583): [             TmPlugin.cxx:1631         clientHandler ] No pool supplied
If I request a NON-ESI page from that same dir, it works, so I know I have my application/pool mappings working correctly.

Am I doing something wrong, or does this look like a support case?

(this is on 10.1 BTW)