Forum Discussion

cpt_ri_F5
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Jul 04, 2023

Duplicate traffic to 3 Pools

Hello,
Has anyone duplicated VS traffic to multiple pools (syslog), please?
I imagine a simple iRule like this doesn't work :
when HTTP_REQUEST {
   pool pool-01
   pool pool-02
   pool pool-03
}

I saw K13392 but concerns IDS (1 pool) : https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K13392
Thanks a lot for your help

22 Replies

• cpt_ri_F5 What is it that you're attempting to solve for because that will most likely put us on a path to the faster solution?

cpt_ri_F5

Hello,

I have more network device that send their logs to 1 pool of syslog servers through standard VS.

I want to duplicate this traffic to 3 other pools. I wonder if this is possible via an iRule?

Thanks.

Paulius
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

cpt_ri_F5 By this I mean if you had pool_1, pool_2, and pool_3 each with 2 pool members and you wanted to send the same traffic to all of them then why not just take the 6 pool members and add them all to one pool? This would accomplish your task of balancing to each pool member with the exception that instead of balancing to 1 pool member in each pool simultaniously you would only balance traffic to one pool member for each connection, depending on your load balancing method and various other configuration options. After it's all said and done, I do not believe you can balance to multiple pools simultaniously for 1 connection but if it was three unique connections with the same information then I suppose you could split it to multiple pools based on application information such as, source IP, destination IP, HTTP header information, and various other fields using an iRule.

cpt_ri_F5

Hello Paulius,

existing traffic is not duplicate to all members of the existing pool.

=> I am interested if you manage to send the same traffic to all members of the pools 🙂

"After it's all said and done, I do not believe you can balance to multiple pools simultaniously for 1 connection "

=> no balance, but duplicate !

Thank you.

• Think you want to use clone pools 🙂 Take a look at the following:

https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K13392

Using clone pools and attaching to the primary VS will allow you to send the same traffic to more than one location. Even if you have clone pools with a single pool member, you can attach multiple to the same VS.

cpt_ri_F5

Hello whisperer,

"you can attach multiple to the same VS." => How?

• An unlimited number of clone pools can be configured on the BIG-IP system

=> unlimited on the BIG-IP, not on the VS ! possible in client-side and server-side !

+ Interface mirroring is not supported on my platform:

• BIG-IP 2000s
      • BIG-IP 2200s
      • BIG-IP 4000s
      • BIG-IP 4200v
        whisperer
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

You need to use TMSH to add clone pools:

tmsh modify /ltm virtual <virtual_name> clone-pools add { <pool_name> {context clientside | serverside } }

boneyard
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

Both clone pools and interface mirroring (which are different things and dont need to be configurered at the same time) dont give you the option to handle the server side differently for different destination. They are ways to take the traffic and send it to multiple destination at the same time.

I understand your request and might have a similar one soon.

This might be a way to go, do the clone pool from an iRule in which you look at the destination IP

https://clouddocs.f5.com/api/irules/clone.html

And to repeat, you don't need traffic mirror to do cloning.

cpt_ri_F5

Hello boneyard,

That's exactly what I'm looking for, I'll try to set it up, thank you very much.