Forum Discussion

MSK_222682
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 12, 2016

Cannot POST files >60KB via BIGIP LTM

Hi,

My Customers are facing an issue wherein the users not able to POST files >60KB to an application abc.xyz.com hosted on BIGIP. Below is the error they see,

{"errors":["errors.adt.ci.metainfo.provider.not.found "]}

However, they are able to send directly to the backend server without any issues.

For the above VS on BIGIP, the default HTTP profile has been attached wherein the Maximum Header Size is  as around 32KB.

Is there anyway to increase this file limit or solve this issue ???

Thanks in advance,
MSK

6 Replies

• Hi,

The header size concern just http headers. I assume that the file is provided in a multi-part mime type within a body payload.

Can you log the request on the backend when client reach in direct and through F5.

If you have a stream profile applied, upload settings may change using Chunking functions instead of full payload upload with Content-Length header

MSK_222682
          Hi Yann,

Thanks for your quick response.!

For the VS in question there is no stream profile configured. Are you saying that if stream profile is attached would make this work ?? 

With regards to log the request, the app team has confirmed that they do not see any logs on backend servers when files >60KB are sent over BIGIP. However, if the file size is <60KB they can see the logs on the backend servers and files are sent successfully without issues. 

I'm planning to do tcpdump to analyse in wireshark but I dont think that would help much. 

JFYI, there is only one backend server. 

Any thoughts how to handle this scenario ?

BR,
       MSK

Yann_Desmarest
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

Hi,

I don't suggest to append a stream profile to your VS. Can you give further information on the way the file is uploaded ?

Moreover, did you configure an ASM policy for that Virtual Server ?

• Hi,

The header size concern just http headers. I assume that the file is provided in a multi-part mime type within a body payload.

Can you log the request on the backend when client reach in direct and through F5.

If you have a stream profile applied, upload settings may change using Chunking functions instead of full payload upload with Content-Length header

MSK_222682
          Hi Yann,

Thanks for your quick response.!

For the VS in question there is no stream profile configured. Are you saying that if stream profile is attached would make this work ?? 

With regards to log the request, the app team has confirmed that they do not see any logs on backend servers when files >60KB are sent over BIGIP. However, if the file size is <60KB they can see the logs on the backend servers and files are sent successfully without issues. 

I'm planning to do tcpdump to analyse in wireshark but I dont think that would help much. 

JFYI, there is only one backend server. 

Any thoughts how to handle this scenario ?

BR,
       MSK

Yann_Desmarest_
      Icon for Nacreous rankNacreous

Hi,

I don't suggest to append a stream profile to your VS. Can you give further information on the way the file is uploaded ?

Moreover, did you configure an ASM policy for that Virtual Server ?