Can APM Licenses on Two Separate Boxes Be Combined?
Looks like people that used another VPN solution before F5 APM a bit confused about licenses. Couple of times they asked below question to me. Apperantly, they don't seem to believe my answer and asked an article that proof/explain this is not possible.
- Is there any way to combine and increase the number of concurrent connection limit with using two APM licenses which registered to two standalone boxes when they become a member of a HA cluster?
- I mean, two standalone APM boxes have licenses that supports up to 500 (CCU) on each. When we gather them in a HA cluster (Active/Stand-By), in license perspective what will we have in total?
In an HA configuration, the CCU limit is based on the limit of the current active box. So if both BIGIP units have a 500 CCU limit, then at any given time, depending which unit is active, the limit will be 500 CCU. There is no such thing as combining 2 units to give you the licensed performance of BOTH units with only one active. The issue here is... over provisioning!
You have two options..
- Buy more CCU license add on for both units.
- Load balance before both units, keeping them as standalone. Perhaps DNS based load balancing with an iRule to redirect to the other unit of the CCU limit is reached.
- This should not be your problem. Incredulous executives or managers can be dealt by having F5 sales engineers and executives being involved. Sometimes you can't reason with stupid.
Hope this helps.