Forum Discussion

Brad_Stapleton
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 27, 2021
Solved

URL Rewrite/ProxyPass Functionality

All:

I am looking for a way to do ProxyPass like functionality inside an irule or other LTM module. We have an application running in Azure that we want to forward traffic to, but need to maintain our URL. Example: abc.com/login forwards to the Azure app (app1.azurewebsites.com) but the URL in the address bar maintains abc.com/login. Is there a way to achieve this? I have tried a redirect but that show the Azure URL, not our internal URL. We need to maintain our URL for proper cookie processing. Thanks.

• you would need to create a pool with a FQDN node of using Azure site "app1.azurewebsites.com". Assign that pool to VIP of abc.com. Add below iRule to the abc.com VIP for Host header rewrite. This should do the trick.

when HTTP_REQUEST {
          HTTP::header replace "Host" "app1.azurewebsites.com"
          }
    when HTTP_RESPONSE {
        HTTP::header replace Location [string map -nocase {app1.azurewebsites.com abc.com} 
        [HTTP::header Location]]
    }

4 Replies

• you would need to create a pool with a FQDN node of using Azure site "app1.azurewebsites.com". Assign that pool to VIP of abc.com. Add below iRule to the abc.com VIP for Host header rewrite. This should do the trick.

when HTTP_REQUEST {
          HTTP::header replace "Host" "app1.azurewebsites.com"
          }
    when HTTP_RESPONSE {
        HTTP::header replace Location [string map -nocase {app1.azurewebsites.com abc.com} 
        [HTTP::header Location]]
    }

PSilva
    Ret. Employee

Hi Brad. I'm not sure if they will help but I did find a couple resources that might.

This one is about iRule triggers for HTTP Request. In the Sample Code area (about half way down) I did see a few ProxyPass type entries. Maybe that'll get you going although I noticed earlier BIG-IP versions. https://clouddocs.f5.com/api/irules/HTTP_REQUEST.html

And, this is simply the Manual Chapter for Configuring Rewrite Profiles for Portal Access: https://techdocs.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_apm/manuals/product/apm-portal-access-13-1-0/6.html

Again, not an expert for this but hopefully these help.

ps