Forum Discussion

Jul 22, 2009

Ubuntu 8.04 tunnel failure

The tunnel connection has failed on my Ubuntu 8.04 workstation using Firefox 3.0.11. This happened in two stages.

1) I began to receive a pop-up window with the message "Connection dropped". After I while I figured out that the tunnel had indeed come up, and as long as I didn't click on "OK", the tunnel would stay up. Very odd, but I could work with it.

2) Suddenly the tunnel wouldn't come up at all. It didn't take long to figure out that pppd wasn't starting. What I haven't been able to figure out is why.

I manually removed the vpn components. Automatic reinstall of the components failed. I manually reinstalled them. Still no joy. Still no pppd. I can manually start pppd, so I know it functions.

Can anyone at F5 chime in with further troubleshooting tips? Any other Linux users experienced this?

- J

2 Replies

• Here's a follow-up to my own post in the hope that it might help someone else. After having given up trying to fix the problem, I thought I would revisit it after upgrading to Firepass 6.1.0. Same problem. Someone pointed me to NoScript as the source of the problem. But how could that be? I had already put the VPN servers on the NoScript whitelist. It can be -- disabling NoScript solves the problem. Then I found this from the NoScript FAQ.

Q: ABE seems to be preventing the F5 Network Access Plugin VPN from working. What can I do?

A: Open NoScript Options|Advanced|ABE, select the SYSTEM ruleset, click "Edit" and insert the following rule at the beginning of the file:

F5 VPN exception

Site http://127.0.0.1:44444

Accept