Forum Discussion

Mar 21, 2018
Solved

RD Connection Broker Loadbalancing w/F5 & Server 2016

Experts. Want to lb RDSH using F5 but still use the RDCB to reestablish disconnected sessions. My F5 is configured correctly with a :3389 VIP and a dns name rds.domain.com pointing to the VIP. I confgured using the RDSH iApp .

I have 2 RSDH servers (one also has the RDCB).

Whenever users connect to the 2nd host, through the VIP or directly to the server using the RDP client, they get an error and 802,1296,1306 events in the log. The first host is fine.

When I enable "Use RD Connection Broker Loadbalancing", both servers are fine and accept connections, however, there is an extra layer of load balancing that I do not need. I don't want the RDCB doing connection load balancing.

Been looking at posts for the last day. None of them seem to point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• The RDCB must be on a separate server. The GPO settings "Use IP address redirection" (This enables token redirection which the RDP persistence profile can use. There is a 9 character limit with the token code, so make sure that your logins are unique (THEDOMAIN\user) would make it look like all the users are the same - THEDOMAIN) and "Use RD Connection Broker load balancing" should be set to Disabled. You will need to set the monitor get/receive strings as seen here: https://devcentral.f5.com/questions/microsoft-server-2016-remote-desktop-session-host-53403. Be sure to create the collection with the GPOs "Not Configured", then Disable and force update.

1 Reply

• The RDCB must be on a separate server. The GPO settings "Use IP address redirection" (This enables token redirection which the RDP persistence profile can use. There is a 9 character limit with the token code, so make sure that your logins are unique (THEDOMAIN\user) would make it look like all the users are the same - THEDOMAIN) and "Use RD Connection Broker load balancing" should be set to Disabled. You will need to set the monitor get/receive strings as seen here: https://devcentral.f5.com/questions/microsoft-server-2016-remote-desktop-session-host-53403. Be sure to create the collection with the GPOs "Not Configured", then Disable and force update.