Forum Discussion

Scott_Herrick_8
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 17, 2009

LTM UCS Creation and download with icontrol

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a way to automate a daily backup of my LTMs.

I'm using (Kiwi/Solarwinds) CatTools to pull the config but I need to get the SSL certs.

I added a cron job that created a ucs file in the root called DailyBackup.ucs. In the past I had another cron job that would FTP the file out of the LTM to a server but would like to try to get icontrol and Powershell working to pull the config.

The Problem is the cron job to create the ucs file starts at 3AM but the file time stamp is 5:59AM.

Why three hours to create the UCS?

Also, I get errors when I attempt to download a file with the Powershell/iControl command “Error opening file for read operations”

Recommendations?

3 Replies

• I can't really answer why a config save takes three hours. That seems a bit long to me but support will likely be the ones to answer that one. As for iControl, the portal process is running under subdomain control that limits certain directories that the process has access to on the system. It's likely that the root of the file system is restricted. You can look in the /etc/subdomain.d/usr.local.www.iControl.iControlPortal.cgi file on your BIG-IP to see what directories iControl has read and/or write access in. You'll likely need to move the file into a accessible directory if you want to download it with the iControl API. I know that the /config and /var/tmp directories are allowed.

Hope this helps...

-Joe
  • Placing the file in /var/tmp did the trick. I'll contact support regarding the time delay creating the ucs file. Thanks!
  • Great, glad I could help. BTW, you can create a .UCS file via iControl with the ConfigSync.save_configuration() method. Although, I wouldn't recommend doing so if it's taking 3 hours...

-Joe