Forum Discussion

DifanZ
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
May 27, 2022

LTM two-way SSL authentication with a specific client cert, not CA cert

Hi experts,

I am trying to set up the SSL two-way authentication following this link https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K12140946#test. It is successful when I choose a CA certificate in the "Trusted Certificate Authorities" field in the Client SSL profile. However, this would authenticate anyone with the client cert signed by the CA (e.g., DigiCert), correct? How do I make it only accepts a specific client cert (e.g. xyz.example.com but not abc.example.com)? I have tried to specify the client cert in the field and the GUI accepts the setting but doesn't work.

Thanks!

4 Replies

xuwen
    Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus
    when CLIENTSSL_HANDSHAKE {
    	if { [SSL::cert count] > 0 } {
    		if { [X509::subject [SSL::cert 0]] contains "CN=xyz.example.com" } {
    			return
    		} else {
    			log local0. "invalid client cert post, subject is: [X509::subject [SSL::cert 0]]"
    			drop
    		}
    	}
    }
      DifanZ
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

Thank you Xuwen! So it is not possible to do it in the GUI, and an irule would be required for this, correct?

xuwen
        Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus

sure, you can don't need irules, only use GUI,First, you need to let Client SSL profile the option "Client Certificate" value set to "Require",  then you can use a self-signed CA certificate(

), instead of using a public CA certificate, use the self-signed CA certificate to sign the client certificate to test the verification, and use curl --key xxx --cert xxx on the client side to test two-way ssl