Forum Discussion

andy_12_5042
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 04, 2013

LTM TCP Connection management

I am trying to understand why the F5 always shows 2-3 times more active sessions for a pool member than is actaully in the physical server state table. In addition I am seeing a problem with having Linux (ubuntu) and Solaris servers in the same pool. What happens is that the Solaris servers get most all of the connections and the Ubunut servers which are on better hardware are sitting mostly idle... The distribution method we use is least connections (node) and a both performance layer 4 or standard TCP depending on location.

So I guess to questions from this: 1) My uderstanding of LTM is the TCP connections which are closed normally for 4-way/3-way close should be immediately closed on the F5. The server always intiates the active close and hence goes into TIME_WAIT. Why does the pool member active connections always show so much more than the server really has active? (Server side I can see this via netstat and F5 I can use b pool | grep cur)

2) Ubuntu has hard coded 60 sec TIME_WAIT in the kernel but Solaris it is a tuneable paramter which we have set to 10secs for performance reasons. ( These connections are very short/fast so no issues with lower time). Why would the f5 send most everything to Solaris servers on poor hardware which translates to slower response times? ( we are not using oneconnect)

I cant seem to find any data that would explain this behaviour and it does not make any technical sense. we are on archaic code (9.25) which I have no control over but I have not seen this issue with multiple OS before. I have also tried to use a Round Robin pool balance method which also did not work and same behaviour... Does anyone have any logic as what is the problem here?

Thanks Andy

18 Replies