Forum Discussion

Feb 25, 2022

Let's Encrypt with Cloudflare DNS and F5 REST API

Hi all

This is a followup on the now very old Let's Encrypt on a Big-IP article.

It has served me, and others, well but is kind of locked to a specific environment and doesn't scale well. I have been going around it for some time but couldn't find the courage (aka time) to get started.

However, due to some changes to my DNS provider (they were aquired and shut down) I finally took the plunges and moved my domains to a provider with an API and that gave me the opportunity to make a more nimble solution.

To make things simple I chose Cloudflare as the community proliferation is enormous and it is easy to find examples and tools. I though think that choosing another provide with an open API isn't such a big deal. After playing around with different tools I realized that I didn't need them as it ended up being much easier to just use curl. So, if the other providers have just a somewhat close resemblance it shouldn't be such a big task converting the scripts to fit.

There might be finer and more advanced solutions out there, but my goal was that I needed a solution that had as few dependencies as possible and if I could make that only Bash and Curl it would be perfect.

And that is what I ended up with 😎

Just put 5 files in the same directory, adjust the config to your environment, and BAM you're good to go!!😻 And if you need to run it somewhere else just copy the directory over and continue like nothing was changed. That is what I call portability 😁

Find all the details here:

Let's Encrypt with Cloudflare DNS and F5 REST API 

Please just drop me a line if you have any questions or feedback or find any bugs.

6 Replies

• the link isn't working for me. Curious to see what you came up with...I've been working on an http solution as well for big-ip, but not done with it yet.

• ....and now with a working link 😉

It was late last night when I published, so simple mistakes were made 😋

lnxgeek
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Due to some customer issues I updated the script to support token based authentication.

Please take a look and tell me what you think 😊