Forum Discussion

Logos_Sydney
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 19, 2020

IP Restrictions on Certain Sites With a shared Virtual Server

Hi guys,

we have couple of websites that are sharing a same F5 virtual server.

e.g.

111.abc.com

222.abc.com

333.abc.com

In the meantime, I’d like to create an iRule for restricting access to 111.abc.com & 222.abc.com with a list of IP subnets only.

In other words, I don’t want to setup any IP restriction on 333.abc.com.

Please review my iRule below and advise accordingly.

Many thanks in advance.

when HTTP_REQUEST {

if { not [class match [HTTP::uri] starts_with URL_List] }

return

}

}

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {

if { [class match [IP::client_addr] equals Allowed_IP_List] and [class match [HTTP::uri] starts_with URL_List]

return

} else {

drop

}

}

1 Reply

• Couple of opportunities here, especially since HTTP::uri is not yet available at the CLIENT_ACCEPTED event. First, I think what you are wanting to check is the host name, as specified in the HTTP Host header, not the URI. In iRules, HTTP::uri is basically everything that follows the hostname in the URL, from the "/" on, including path, object name, and query string. For example, if the complete URL is 111.abc.com/test/css/style.css, then {HTTP::host] returns "111.abc.com" and [HTTP::uri] returns "/test/css/style.css"

If you only need to test three or fewer URLs, your best bet is to simply check for those URLs in the iRule rather than use a datagroup. It's faster. For example:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
        if { [HTTP::host] equals "111.abc.com" || [HTTP::host] equals "222.abc.com" } {
            if { ![class match [IP::client_addr] equal Allow_IP_List] } {
                drop
            }
        }
    }

If you need to check up to about 15 URLs, change the IF structure to a SWITCH statement instead.

Use a datagroup if you have more than about 10-15 URLs to check, in which case:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
       if { [class match [HTTP::host] equals Hostname_List] } {
           if { ![class match [IP::client_addr] equals Allow_IP_List] } {
                drop
            }
        }
    }

Hostname_List should only contain the hostnames you want to limit traffic from based on client IP address.