Forum Discussion

T_Rajneesh
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 03, 2020

HOST & vCMP Guest GTM upgrade query.

Here i wanted to go with upgrade on secondary (location B) upgdrade first.

- There are two DC which is Location A and Location B

- There are 2 Host each Data Center

- On each Host, there is 1 GTM 2 LTM

- Upgrade will first start in Location B and the Options are:

Step 1: Upgrade Location B

Option 1: You can upgrade vCMP Host on Reno DC and all vCMP Guest of Reno DC to 12.1.5.2 

Step 2: on Location A

Option 2: GTM vCMP Guest can remain on BIG-IP 12.1.2 but big3d_install will be performed (from Reno GTM) to install latest big3d version on this guest.

after a week of observation and montioring, we will go ahead and upgrade Location A.

Is it correct procedure ?

5 Replies

• Hello Rajneesh.

This procedure could help you to achieve your goal.

https://devcentral.f5.com/s/articles/BIG-IP-Upgrade-Procedure-via-CLI-vCMP-Guest-Host

Regards,

Dario.

T_Rajneesh

thanks Dario for the information. I have already did vCMP HOST AND vCMP Guest (all LTM's) upgrade, I'm not looking for exact procedure, but i have doubt about the way i go for upgrade:

Step 1: Upgrade Location B

Option 1: I will upgrade vCMP Host on Location B DC and all vCMP Guest of Location B DC to 12.1.5.2 

Step 2: on Location A

Option 2: GTM vCMP Guest can remain on BIG-IP 12.1.2 on Location A but big3d_install will be performed (from Location B GTM) to install latest big3d version on this guest(Location A) and Host still will be in 12.1.2 version.

Will this is fine, or GTM sync group and iQuery will break and will lose sync with other GTM ?

Regards,

Rajneesh

Dario_Garrido
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Hello Rajneesh.

You have to upgrade everything besides the GTM and let the GTM devices for the last.

1) VCMP Hosts

2) VCMP Guests

3) VCMP Guests (GTMs)

The reason to do that is because as you mentioned before, to not break iQuery connection.

Check the next link:

REF - https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K11661449#update-big3d

Of course, you can avoid to let the GTM devices for the last step installing the proper versión of big3d.

Regards,

Dario.

T_Rajneesh

thanks Dario for prompt response.

Presently i'm planning to upgrade only on one side.. say location B. So can i have GTM running different version on Location A :

vCMP Guest (GTM ) can remain on BIG-IP 12.1.2 on Location A but big3d_install will be performed (from Location B GTM) to install latest big3d version on this guest(Location A) and Host still will be in 12.1.2 version..will it work ?

please see the diagram i have attached:

Is there any best possible way, where i can upgrade only one side of DC (location) and rest location at later time probably a week later..

Dario_Garrido
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Hello Rajneesh.

As the documentation states:

"BIG-IP DNS synchronization group communication

Sync group members should run the same big3d version."

So you can only have a GTM sync-group where all devices are running the same big3d versión. If both DC are going to have different firmware version, you should upgrade the big3d in the site with the lowest firmware.

Please, don't forget to mark one of my answers as the best to help me for the contribution.

Regards,

Dario.