Forum Discussion

Parveez_70209
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 13, 2016

F5 LTM VRF/ZONES

Hi Team,

We are working in one Greenfield Implementation, where we are creating VRFs/Zones named Prod/Test/Dev into our setup(In routers/switches/Firewalls).

In every environment Prod/Test/Dev, we are advertising respective VLANs plus I am keeping one VIP segment too).

So, similarly we want to partition the BIGIP LTM too, we are using F5-BIG-LTM-2200S(Note the setup is small, so proposed model will suffice, so no vCMP supportive models are suggested).

Query: 1. How we will do that ? By Admin_Partitioning ? or do we also need to use Route-Domains ?

Regards Parveez

1 Reply

• I am more familiar with route domains. so basically you should create additional route-domains which are essentially similar to Cisco VRF's. You have the option to select strict-isolation which means the route domain routing table is exclusively used and if there is no match on a route it will use the default route within that RD. You should assign a physical interface north/south of the F5 for each particular route domain. basically you can duplicate VIP addressing on the F5. if you need any more pointers with route-domains let me know. If you are running 11.5 code and higher you can also use HA traffic-groups. so each VS within in each route domain should be configured in a specific traffic-group. that will allow that RD/Traffic-group to failover without impacting the other RD's.