Forum Discussion

Kate
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 20, 2020

F5 DNS fallback AAAA WIP to A WIP

We have published F5 edge client to our clients with a server name that's globally load balanced by an IPv4 WIP on F5 DNS using topology as load balancing method, we are now trying to enable IPv6 support for the same server name so IPv6 & IPv4 clients connect to the same hostname.

I have created a AAAA WIP where IPv6 is available this contains 3 our of 10 F5 APMs due to IPV6 availability being limited in some of our geographical locations/ISPs. This WIP has a fallback IP pointing to the IPv6 adddress of our F5 APM in Germany.

My problem is that now we have IPv6 clients in regions where we have a local IPv4 F5 APM are now being given the Germany IPv6 fallback IP as they are not matching the topology load balancing and are using the fallback.

Is there a way we can get the F5 to not return an IPv6 address for these clients and send them back to the IPv4 WIP instead?

Thanks for your help

1 Reply

Kate
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Found the answer myself, set the fallback on the AAAA pool to drop request and it works as required. Leaving this up in case it helps anyone else.