Forum Discussion

trongod05_13797
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 13, 2014

F5 BIG-IP LTM VE with VMware Workstation or VirtualBox

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with the network configuration of the f5 BIG-IP VE on either Vmware Workstation or VirtualBox. I was able to get it up and running. However there are 3 virtual interfaces that come with it. I'm not sure what virtual interface in either VMware or VBox is associated to what interface on the f5 ltm. The three are Adapter 1 Bridged, Adapter 2, Internal Network, Adapter 3 bridged. I guess what I am asking is which is the front side, which is the backside and which is management?

If there's anyone with any experience in getting one of these running I would appreciate the help. I am just trying to set up a little virtual lab for educational use. I work with them but it is all remote work. Having one always accessible as a lab would be a great educational tool.

Thanks!

16 Replies

• Can't really speak for VirtualBox, but in WorkStation the first interface is always the management port. The others are (usually) in order after that, but I've found that to not always be true. Your best bet if they aren't in order, after accessing via management, is to create the VLANs with no interfaces, assign self-IPs to the VLANs, and then add an interface to a VLAN while pinging it from another box.

• Thanks you for the post first of all!

Now, I am confused as usual while segregating VLANs on my Virtual F5 Appliance (VMware Workstation). How can I have Internal / External and Management interfaces in different subnet in order to setup a small educational lab?

I have bridged one of the interfaces and it became a management interface, and I got the GUI access.

How can I setup Internal / External VLANs?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Darshan

• Hello,

I followed the steps but i am getting this error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine LTM-VE.

Nonexistent host networking interface, name '' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005) Component: Console Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

• I am getting an error while importing the OVA image: BIGIP-11.5.1.0.0.110.ALL-ide.ova.

Medium 'C:\Users\xxxx\VirtualBox VMs\vm\BIGIP-11.5.1.0.0.110-disk1.vmdk' is already attached to port 1, device 0 of controller 'IDE Controller' of this virtual machine.

Código Resultado: VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C) Componente: ApplianceWrap Interfaz: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}

Any Ideas?

venkat_teki_242
      Hi, i am also running into same issue. Could you find the solution to your problem?
      Josue_Garcia
      I found the solution by manually configuring the VM as described above, then I have attached the BIGIP-11.5.1.0.0.110-disk1.vmdk which is within the ova
  • I need help, I got a .ova file "BIGIP-11.3.0.39.0-scsi.ova" when I run it, it says that login is incorrect (I put the default login/pwd: root/default). Could anyone help? The configuration is the same as bellow. Thanks.
  • if anyone is crawling the internet looking for a solution to using f5 ve with virtualbox:

1. download the BIGIP-.ALL-scsi.ova file from F5 Downloads
    2. open the file with your favorite archive utility (7zip, peazip, etc.)
    3. extract the BIGIP--disk1.vmdk and disk2.vmdk files
    4. create a custom, other x64 linux machine in virtualbox. you can select the first disk in the setup as storage
    5. after created, go into the machine settings and add the disk2.vmdk file under the storage section.
    6. i then used 2 procs, 8 or 4g of ram and whatever nic settings you want.

my virtualbox was complaining about using the vmdk after messing around with the first vm i created. i had to go into the media manager to delete old entries.

• The original post did not work for me, but I found this one instead.

This second link worked for me in April 2018 with version 13, with only one modification (see comment in the link)

• if Any one knows , How to download proper BIG IP setup for Oracle Vm Virtual box . If anyone knows kindly send mail to naveenfocus1705@gmail.com.

As of now after launch in virtual box , iam continously facing error " restarting mcpd "