Forum Discussion

Xpander_128291
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 14, 2003

Exception when calling node.get_list()

ello,

I just downloaded the iControl SDK and am playing with the included C samples. In the DistributionMonitor example app I am able to add my BIG-IP & 3DNS boxes to the app as well as monitor traffic. However, when attempting to modify a selected pool. The app throws the following exception.

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (11, 2). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The specified type was not recognized: name='ITCMCommon.IPAddress', namespace='urn:iControl', at .

This exception originates in a call to the get_list() method on a node object.

The BIG-IP kernel is version 4.5PTF-06 Build25.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Mark

6 Replies

• Mark, This looks like a type declaration issue in our server with v4.5PTF06. We will have develolpment look at this and post an update on this thread.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Joe
  • Mark, I've verified that this is an issue with v4.5PTF06. I'll get a change request in and submit it for a correction in the next PTF.

Right now I see no workaround. We are specifying in the WSDL that the type of the argument is ITCMCommon.IPAddress which is an alias for a string. VS.NET treats aliases as the native types and does not support the type declaration for an element as being the alias. We put this in to support some of the java toolkits coming out. In our opinion this is a bug in VS.NET but we have a workaround that we've verified and figure it will be quicker for us to implement a fix than to get an updated version of VS.NET...

I will post the PTF number that this fix will be included in when I have that information.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Joe
  • "Joe" said: Mark, I've verified that this is an issue with v4.5PTF06. I'll get a change request in and submit it for a correction in the next PTF.

Right now I see no workaround. We are specifying in the WSDL that the type of the argument is ITCMCommon.IPAddress which is an alias for a string. VS.NET treats aliases as the native types and does not support the type declaration for an element as being the alias. We put this in to support some of the java toolkits coming out. In our opinion this is a bug in VS.NET but we have a workaround that we've verified and figure it will be quicker for us to implement a fix than to get an updated version of VS.NET...

I will post the PTF number that this fix will be included in when I have that information.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Joe"

I think I'm getting the same problem and am using V=4.5 with C. I don't see any PTF number posted here, so if there is a fix how to I get it?

I would like to get a list of all the computers in a pool, and feel I need to use this function to do it.

Please Help,

-Jim.
  • Is that v4.5 of BIG-IP or of the SDK? Version 4.5 of the SDK should be correct and as long as you are using the WSDL in the SDK there shouldn't be a problem (please post a stack trace if this is your situation).

I've posted a updated fix in the 4.6.2 SDK available for download in the Downloads section. This is solely a bug in the WSDL documents, not the server processing of the messages. If you recompile the WSDL in the latest SDK into your project, you should be all set. If you are downloading the WSDL via a Web Reference directly from the server, you will need to wait for the next PTF that will include this fix which from what I'm told will be sometime in January.

So, if you could proceed with the current 4.6.2 SDK from DevCentral and use that WSDL you should be OK. Again, if you still have problems, send in your stack trace.

-Joe
  • I too am having a problem with the WSDL in the 4.6.2 SDK. I downloaded it today, 1/23/2005. It looks like the WSDL has long or long[] specified in several places where string or string[] should be specified.

Example from ITCMLocalLB.Node.wsdl:

Here the section that defines the return type of the get_list function which is tns:ITCMCommon.IPAddressSequence

Here is the section that defines tns:ITCMCommon.IPAddressSequence as a long[]

wsdl:arrayType='xsd:long[]'/>

Shouldn't this be string[] instead of long[]?

Thank you,

Perry

• You are correct in that IPAddress values should be of type "string". I posted an updated SDK last September but it seems to have been overwritten with the original release. In the mean time, feel free to make the change to the WSDL manually and we'll get that updated SDK in the downloads.

-Joe