Forum Discussion

kimhenriksen
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Nov 20, 2020
Solved

Changing vcmp guest hostname?

Hi all,

I have a vcmp host with 3 guests of which I want to change the hostname. I know it´s doable from the guest gui under platform, but when upgradring it reverts back to the vcmp host configured one. So I want to change that, can i do that straight up without changing state of the guest or do i need to change the state of the guest?

8 Replies

• There is a TMSH command you can run from the command line on the vCMP host to modify the guest's hostname:

modify /vcmp guest my_guest hostname new_guest_hostname

If you need to modify the actual guest name on the host (rather than the guest's hostname), you might try this article: https://devcentral.f5.com/s/question/0D51T00006i7YVs/how-to-rename-a-vcmp-guest It's old (2014) but... Keep in mind that you do have to reload the config on the host though, which temporarily disrupts traffic processing.

kimhenriksen

Thanks, do you know if I need to change the state of the guest before doing this. The change itself I know how to do.

• Without testing on an actual vCMP system, the conventional wisdom is that modifying a guest's hostname from the host (using the TMSH command shown) should not require (nor cause) a state change on the guest.

kimhenriksen

I´ve read that one, and as it doesnt specify that i need to change the deployment state of the vcmp i guess it´s not needed.

FF
        Icon for Employee rankEmployee

The change to the vCMP guest hostname takes immediate effect once the Update button is hit in the UI or the "save /sys config" command is run in tmsh. No other action, for example change in vCMP guest state, is needed.