Forum Discussion

krisdames
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Mar 21, 2013

Best practice for disparate pool members

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can hit me with some knowledge. I'm trying to figure out the most best way to handle this configuration. Please let me know if this is the wrong group to post in.

I have a virtual server that needs to route traffic to two servers (server1 and server2) in an active/passive situation. Server1 and server2 both serve FTP on port 21 and HTTP on port 6700. In addition, both servers use ports 12000-12003 for passive ftp. All traffic should go to server1 until one of the services (ftp or http) go down, at which time all traffic should go to server2.

My ideas so far are thus:

1) Create one pool with twelve pool members:

server1:21 with priority group 2

server1:12000 with priority group 2

server1:12001 with priority group 2

server1:12002 with priority group 2

server1:12003 with priority group 2

server1:6700 with priority group 2

server2:21 with priority group 1

server2:12000 with priority group 1

server2:12001 with priority group 1

server2:12002 with priority group 1

server2:12003 with priority group 1

server2:6700 with priority group 1

The priority group activation value for the pool would be "6" so if any member of group 2 went down, all traffic would go to group 1 (if I understand the way priority groups work). I think I would need a monitor for each pool member to make this work but I'm not sure. The pool members listening on ports 12000-12003 would not be checked directly, instead they would rely on an ftp monitor on port 21 to determine their availability (because nothing listens on those ports most of the time).

2) Create two pools with six pool members (all six server1 pool members in poolA, all six server2 pool members in poolB). I think this would require an iRule to route traffic to poolB if poolA goes down. I think I could get away with only two monitors per pool in this scenario, one checking server1:6700 (via Alias Address and Alias Service Port) and one checking server:21 (again via the alias address and service port).

Any advice would be appreciated!

--

Kris

No RepliesBe the first to reply