Forum Discussion

ravi_75510
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 28, 2009

Refresh F5 Threshhold Rule

Hi,

I am using F5 management pack 1.4.1.93.

When I am running F5 action - Refresh F5 Threshhold Rule. I am getting below error

"Error: The threshold override monitor is not running, or is not accessible"

In My F5 Event log getting below error every 5 min

Event Type:Warning

Event Source:F5 Events

Event Category:None

Event ID:800

Date:10/27/2009

Time:10:45:49 PM

User:N/A

Computer:SCMG01

Description:

Unable to update collection rules due to data failure

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

But Refresh F5 Device Collection Rule is running succesfully.

Please let me know what could be the reson and is it becuase of this my reports are not showing any data.

With Regards

Ravi Bhushan

7 Replies

• Hi,

If anyone faced this type of issue please help me.

With Regards

Ravi
    Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Ravi,

It looks like the F5 Management Pack condition detection module for monitoring rule overrides may not be correctly initialized in your environment. We would need more information to troubleshoot this. I would suggest the following, for a more efficient troubleshooting:

1. Temporarily disable all of the non-default overrides for the F5 Management Pack (collection rule overrides and threshold rule overrides). I assume you have an override management pack for all these, so you could export this XML file (using the SCOM 2007 Management Console) and then just delete the override management pack.

2. Stop the F5 Monitoring Service.

3. Enable verbose tracing for the F5 Management Pack (Click here to see how to enable verbose logging support). Remove the existing trace.log file in the Log folder inside the F5 Management Pack installation directory (by default Program Files\F5 Networks\Management Pack).

4. Stop and restart the SCOM Health Service.

5. Start the F5 Monitoring service.

6. Run the "Refresh F5 Device Threshold Rules" action and see if you get any errors. If you do, then zip the trace.log file and go to the last step.

7. Create one threshold rule override (you can add the corresponding collection rule if it's not enabled). Click here to follow the instructions on how to create collection rule overrides and threshold rule overrides for the F5 Management Pack.

8. Run the "Refresh F5 Device Threshold Rules" action and see if you get any errors. If you do, then zip the trace.log file and go to the last step.

9. (Last step) Run the system information diagnostic script. Click here to find out more. Zip the output file.

Send us the trace.log and diagnostic output files at the following email address: managementpack(at)f5.com.

I'm not sure yet if this might be related to the report data problem that you also have. It may be a common cause though for both. We'll take a look at the trace logs and diagnostic results once we get them from you, and we'll take it from there.

Julian

• Hi Julian,

Sorry for delayed response as I met with an accident and only started working from today.

I followed the steps you have mentioned and didin't find any error while running "Refresh F5 Device Threshold Rules". I am sending you the log files to mentioned mail id.

With Regards

Ravi
    Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    Hey Ravi, I'm sorry to hear that you had an accident and I hope all is well with you.

I got the log files and I will take a look at them and will get back to you in the next 24 hrs.

Thank you!

Julian

Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Ravi,

I went through the logs you've sent me and apparently the two key modules for collecting and interpreting the rules within the F5 Management Pack (F5 MP) - Rules Override Manager and Condition Detection - are not initialized correctly, in your environment. Here's what I would like you to do, to gather more specific information about the errors related to these two modules:

- stop the F5 MP monitoring service,

- add the following sections to the F5 MP service configuration file (f5mpsvc.exe.config), under the section (within :

switchName="sourceSwitch" 
             switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch"> 

switchName="sourceSwitch" 
             switchType="System.Diagnostics.SourceSwitch"> 

- save the service configuration file (f5mpsvc.exe.config);

- delete the trace.log file (in the %Program Files%\F5 Networks\F5 Management Pack\Log folder)

- restart the F5 MP monitoring service and wait at least 5 minutes (to get a couple of refresh cycles for collecting rules); you can also run the tasks associated with refreshing the rules inside the SCOM Management Console).

- save the trace.log file and send it to us: managementpack(at)f5.com

Also, check and make sure the service account running the F5 MP monitoring service has the Operations Manager Administrator user role associated with it. And on the a last note, please run the SQL query I sent you in a previous post (about the similar topic):

Click here

and let me know if there's any raw data retrieved from the Operations Manager live and data warehouse databases. This would also help diagnosing the reporting problems that you may have. I'll post the SQL queries again, here:

/**************************************************   
       * Get the stats from the live database   
       ***************************************************/   
       select   
       BME.FullName,   
       PCV.ManagedEntityId,   
       PCV.CounterName,   
       PDAV.SampleValue,   
       PDAV.TimeSampled   
       from [OperationsManager].[dbo].[BaseManagedEntity] BME with (nolock)   
       join [OperationsManager].[dbo].[PerformanceCounterView] PCV  with (nolock) on BME.BaseManagedEntityID = PCV.ManagedEntityId   
       join [OperationsManager].[dbo].[PerformanceDataAllView] PDAV  with (nolock) on PDAV.PerformanceSourceInternalId = PCV.PerformanceSourceInternalId   
       where BME.FullName like 'F5.%'   

Data warehouse query (~OperationsManagerDW):

/**************************************************   
       * Get the stats from the data warehouse   
       ***************************************************/   

select   
       PR.ManagedEntityRowId,   
       ME.ManagedEntityGuid,   
       PR.SampleValue,   
       PR.DateTime,   
       ME.FullName,   
       R.ObjectName,   
       R.CounterName   
       from [OperationsManagerDW].[Perf].[vPerfRaw] PR with (nolock)   
       join [OperationsManagerDW].[dbo].[PerformanceRuleInstance] PRI  with (nolock) on PR.PerformanceRuleInstanceRowId = PRI.PerformanceRuleInstanceRowId   
       join [OperationsManagerDW].[dbo].[PerformanceRule] R  with (nolock) on PRI.RuleRowId = R.RuleRowId   
       join [OperationsManagerDW].[dbo].[ManagedEntity] ME  with (nolock) on PR.ManagedEntityRowId = ME.ManagedEntityRowId   
       where ME.FullName like 'F5.%'   

These issues may all be related (the rule collection and processing failure and reports data not showing), and again, make sure the account running the F5 MP service is an Ops Manager Admin.

Thanks,

Julian

• Hi Julian,

Thanks for your help. I am down by my injury which is recovering very slow. Once I will join my work I will collect the logs and will update you.

Ravi
    Julian_Balog_34
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Ravi,

I'm looking forward to having you back and we hope your recovery will go well. As soon as you post back here, we'll try to assist you the best we can.

Take care!

Julian