Forum Discussion

JamesB12
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Nov 25, 2022

Need iRule to block the traffic for specific URL

Hello

Can somebody help on this please?

I have LTM appliance & Virtual server 'https://www100.test.com' hosted.

The requirement I have is to block all the traffic destinated to one of the application 'https://www100.test.com/ce' - is this something achievable by iRule If so do you have any idea on the iRule?

Would appreciate somebody can help.

Have seen this - https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K74012450 but that is looking too complex to me.

Thanks

5 Replies

• you could something like this:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
    if { ([HTTP::host] eq "www100.test.com") and ([HTTP::path] eq "/ce") } {
    drop
    }
    }

you could also, instead of  eq "/ce" do starts_with "/ce" in case you have other URI's that start with "/ce" and you want to block them

JamesB12

Thanks for that. I will give it a try.

If i need to filter specific Source IPs say from Whitelist1 Data group allow it, block rest of it for the same URL "www100.test.com/ce". How do i match the condition with the below iRule.

• Hi James,

The provided example in K74012450 allows you to block certain URIs for external IPs. Its probable not the right (to complex) solution if you want to block access to a given URI for all clients.

Depending on how the "block" action should be you may use one of the iRule snippets below:

Intercept the Request and send HTTP 403 "Access Denied" response to the User-Agent:

Intercept the Request and send HTTP 403 "Access Denied" response to the User-Agent:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
    	if { [string tolower "[HTTP::host][HTTP::path]"] starts_with "www100.test.com/ce" } then {
    		HTTP::respond 403 content "<html><body><h1>Access Denied</h1></body><html>" "Content-Type" "text/html"
    	}
    }

Intercept the Request and redirect the User-Agent to a custom error page or landing URL:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
    	if { [string tolower "[HTTP::host][HTTP::path]"] starts_with "www100.test.com/ce" } then {
    		HTTP::respond 302 "Location" "/error_page.html"
    	}
    }

If the block list gets more complex (e.g. more entries) you may need a different technique to filter URLs. Also keep in mind that the block list in my examples are filtering request to "www100.test.com/ce*". If your web application is also accesible via lets say "https://212.212.212.212/ce" then the filtering wont work. You may need to skip checking of the HOST-Name to make the black-listing more robust...

Cheers, Kai

JamesB12

Thanks for that , Should be OK with sending 

HTTP::respond 403

If i need to filter specific Source IPs say from Whitelist1 Data group allow it, block rest of it for the same URL  "www100.test.com/ce". How do i match the condition with the below iRule.

when HTTP_REQUEST {
      HTTP::respond 403 content "<html><body><h1>Access Denied</h1></body><html>" "Content-Type" "text/html"
      }

Thanks

ScottE
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

JamesB12 

Sounds like the piece you are looking for is a class match for the whitelist.

when HTTP_REQUEST {

if { [class match [IP::client_addr] equals Whitelist1] } {
                log local0.info "TESTCE: Acceptable usage from [IP::remote_addr]"

} else {

return
           }

}

You can also have a pool selection with the log statement if the traffic goes to a specific pool.  You can also just negate the "if" condition if you only want to action if the IP is not in the whitelist.

Scott