Forum Discussion

Herman2024
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 05, 2024

Failed to add new DNS machine to the existing DNS sync-group

hi, I want to add a new dns (gtm) system to the existing dns (gtm) sync-group, but failed.  I followed the instructions described on this doc link https://techdocs.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip-dns/manuals/product/bigip-dns-implementations-12-1-0/3.html

when I ran the last step by running the command "tmsh run gtm gtp_add"  to add new dns system to the existing dns sync-group, the return result is "Exiting" and the new DNS failed to copy the config from existing dns system. Can someone please help to advise, thanks. the port lockdown are set to "allow all" on the self-ip (external interface). 

• Here are some common troubleshooting steps and checks:

Configuration Check:

Ensure that the new DNS server has been properly configured and is running the same version of the GTM software as the existing servers.

Network Connectivity:

Verify that the new DNS server can communicate with the existing servers. Check for network issues, firewalls, and proper routing.

Sync Group Configuration:

Confirm that the new server is correctly added to the sync group configuration. Ensure that the server's IP address and other relevant details are accurate.

Sync Group Membership:

Verify that the new server is properly included in the sync group settings. Make sure the sync group configuration is updated to include the new server.

Permissions and Access:

Check that the new server has the necessary permissions to join and participate in the sync group. Ensure proper access control settings.

Logs and Errors:

Review the logs on both the new and existing DNS servers for any error messages or warnings that could provide more details on the failure.

Restart Services:

Sometimes, restarting the DNS services on the new server or all members of the sync group can help resolve synchronization issues.

• Herman2024

Usually gtm_add command will work if we provide root passwords

Please verify below points aswell. I hope you are not seeing more errors in cli when you executing gtm_add command

• Do you seeing any error logs while trying to add Gtm to sync group. (Va/log/gtm)?