Forum Discussion

gurkha
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 14, 2024

F5 Hotfix

I am just trying to understand how do we do a hotfix patch in F5. I am not trying to understand the process but just which file needs to be selected. For example lets say I am currently in 16.1.4.3 so should I go to F5 download.f5.com and install the latest jumbo hotfix from that specific version or do I need to raise a case with F5 and ask for the file. Just bit confused about how should we go about selecting the Jumbo hotfix?  

• You can install an update if you find one on f5.com, either a major (for example 17.X.X) or minor update (16.1.X.X) withou needing to involve F5 support except if you have an issue that is confirmed by the support, they can then issue what is called an engineering hotfix which is temporary and that you install in the same manner as the regular patches.

For engineering hotfix see: https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K4918

Also, you are free to involve the support with you in a proactive case whenever you want to update/upgrade a critical system

gurkha
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hello Amine_Kadimi , Thank you for replying back.

Sorry I literally come from only a firewall world and recently started my F5 journey.

So, that basically means there is no such thing as General hotfix for all the F5 users. Hotfix is only provided in case of vulnerability or for specific problems. Generally we do a major update like you said from 16.x to 17.x or in case of general patch do a minor update from 16.1.4.2 to 16.1.4.3.

One last thing is it a good idea to stay on the latest version. For example if I am in 16.1.4.1 is it best to stay on 16.1.4.3 to the latest ? Is this recommended by F5 ?

• F5 may provide temporary code patches or engineering hotfixes to address issues between eligible Major, Minor, and Point software releases. 

So why you are proceeding with an hotfix? Any bugs or vulnerability in existing version? If yes you check any hotfix relating to that issue. Otherwise, you can proceed to latest stable fixed version 17.1.1.3

If any specific reason you will get release not from the version and you can download from F5 downloads