Forum Discussion

dissapat
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jun 04, 2024

F5 cookie passive method

Hello, I am learning about F5 cookie persistence, and I have searched through many of posts. 

I curious that when we use cookie passive method, how can F5 know that which client belongs to which servers. Where does F5 store the information, i have try to look at persistence record in GUI as statistics  ››  Module Statistics : Local Traffic  ››  Persistence Records. But not found anything.

9 Replies

• You will not find anything. F5 doesnt care... since passive mode is where the server and client interact with cookies and the normal timeout/expiration is evaluated by the server when a cookie is presented back on subsequent connections.

• HTTP Cookie PassiveUsing the HTTP Cookie Passive method is unlike the other cookie persistence methods. The BIG-IP system does not insert or search for blank Set-Cookie headers in the response from the server. This method does not try to set up the cookie. With this method, the server provides the cookie, formatted with the correct server information and timeout.
      dissapat

Can we check that where F5 collect the information of cookie?

whisperer
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Think you are missing the point of a passive cookie:

In Passive mode the Big-IP does not search or insert cookies into the HTTP header of responses from the server

• Are you looking for the current connection table on your LTM? You can see this using the tmsh shell. The command "show sys connection"

dissapat

I am looking for a cookie information, that where F5 store information about what cookie belong to which server.

c_fletcher

In passive mode there is nothing created or stored on the LTM. The cookie is generated by the pool member on the initial connection. This cookie is only inspected by the LTM to direct the client back to the same member if it is supplied by the client on further communications.