Forum Discussion

Poseidon1974
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Oct 10, 2023

F5 APM-Kerberos -decrypt ticket

Hi ,

I am newbie on  F5 APM, I use Kerberos authentication via keytab, and I have this error message in the  SIEM logs, when user try to connect, also, the user sees a pop-up displayed to authenticate, normally, it should be transparent for the user who is already in the domain

"LOCAL kvno 24 enctype aes256-cts found in keytab but cannot decrypt ticket"

Any help ?

Thanks ,

13 Replies

Leslie_Hubertus
        Ret. Employee

I've just sent your thread to some colleagues to try to get you the answer you need. 

Poseidon1974

Hi

Thanks for this reply , we use same account ( AD) for both SPN, for one URL it's OK with AES , but NOK for seconde URL, we haven't any issue with RC4  before

regards, 

Poseidon1974

Hi ,

As explained, I use a keytab file for two spns, only 1 SPN works with AES (without pop-up), however the other SPN does not (the user sees a pop-up displayed) to put his credentials n us 'have no problem with RC4 encryption.

• Not sure if I can help

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K24065228

Verifying the Kerberos encryption configuration

The encrypted type in the keytab file must support the encryption used to encrypt the Kerberos service ticket on the client system.

To view the supported encryption types in the keytab file using the BIG-IP Configuration utility, refer to Verifying the service account name configuration on the KDC and BIG-IP APM procedure in this article.
    To display the encryption used to encrypt the Kerberos service ticket, use the klist command described in the Verifying the Kerberos tickets on the client device with the klist command procedure in this article.
    For more information on configuring Kerberos encryption on Windows, refer to Windows Configurations for Kerberos Supported Encryption Type.

Note: This link take you to resources outside of AskF5, and it is possible that the information may be removed without our knowledge.

F5 recommends using the AES 256 bit encryption type. To configure this, you need to enable the This account supports the Kerberos AES 256 bit encryption option on the Account tab in the AD Properties and also when generating the keytab file with the ktpass command.

Poseidon1974

Hi,

Thank you for this feedback (I already knew this link), however, all the steps explanied on your link complete correctly, nevertheless, the generated keytab file only works for a single SPN, and not for the other (the user has a authentication pop-up), following that, I did a rollback to RC4,