Forum Discussion

Marcus_Spitzmil
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 16, 2016

ASM and TCP based applications

Hello, I am not an F5 expert, but am asking on behalf of a customer. I am trying to find the following:

Can ASM be leveraged to inspect application traffic when the application is using a TCP (not HTTP) based access policy? If so, is this out of the box or is there special configuration required? The customer is using Big-IP using F5 for reverse proxy and SSL offload.

Any help would (and links) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marcus

• Hello,

ASM is a Web application firewall and is dedicated to the protection of web apps.

You can use the ASM license to protect smtp and ftp services.

If you have a custom TCP app, you have better to go with LTM, irules and IP Intelligence (ip reputation db)

You can find info on devcebtral and askf5.f5.com

• Hello,

ASM is a Web application firewall and is dedicated to the protection of web apps.

If you have a custom TCP app, you have better to go with LTM, irules and IP Intelligence (ip reputation db)

Marcus_Spitzmil
      Thanks a lot for the quick response. In this case it actually is a web app using websockets, which require a TCP based access policy. I am assuming this does not change your answer? Please confirm, then I'll mark your answer. Thanks! Marcus
      Erik_Novak_2712
      Historic F5 Account
      The upcoming ASM v12.1 supports WebSocket applications. The standard TCP profile must be used on the virtual server, and then you add a WebSocket profile. Automatic configuration of WebSocket URLs is also configurable.
      Yann_Desmarest_
      Icon for Nacreous rankNacreous
      Hi, Websocket is currently supported using LTM only. As Erik mentioned, you need to wait for the 12.1.0 to be released
  • Hello,

Marcus_Spitzmil
      Thanks a lot for the quick response. In this case it actually is a web app using websockets, which require a TCP based access policy. I am assuming this does not change your answer? Please confirm, then I'll mark your answer. Thanks! Marcus
      Erik_Novak_2712
      Historic F5 Account
      The upcoming ASM v12.1 supports WebSocket applications. The standard TCP profile must be used on the virtual server, and then you add a WebSocket profile. Automatic configuration of WebSocket URLs is also configurable.
      Yann_Desmarest
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      Hi, Websocket is currently supported using LTM only. As Erik mentioned, you need to wait for the 12.1.0 to be released