Forum Discussion

Ichnafi
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
May 25, 2018

Why only two supported ciphers in ssh_config

Hello everyone,

I recently tried to copy a file via scp from a BIG-IP and failed by "not matching ciphers". I had a look into it and stumbled upon the fact, that by default only aes128-cbc and aes256-cbc are the supported ciphers by the BIG-IP's SSH-client.

[Snippet from  /config/ssh/ssh_config (Vers. 12.1 and 13):]
(...)
Ciphers aes128-cbc,aes256-cbc
(...)

I'm wondering, why is the BIG-IPs SSH-client configured like that? From my understanding, CBC ciphers are considered as weak and therefore are disabled by default, for example in standard Debian ssh server. The Big-IP's SSH-server supports a wide variety of ciphers.

I added those ciphers to my ssh-servers and now everything works, but I'm still some kind of confused by that decision.

Cheers Ichnafi

6 Replies

• Hi Ichnafi,

By default, the sshd configuration does not include a specific set of ciphers or MAC algorithms for BIG-IP and BIG-IQ systems. However you can modify the encryption ciphers or the Message Authentication Code (MAC) algorithms used by the secure shell (SSH):

Check this link, it discribe how you can include additionl ciphers https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K80425458

hope it responds to your answer.

Regards

Gabriel_Y
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

I applied this process, however is not working for version "BIG-IP 14.1.2".

edit / sys sshd all-properties

Change the parameter:

include "Ciphers arcfour256, aes256-ctr"

But instead of change the exist value, it duplicated the line staying as follows:

Somebody help me how to resolve this, please.

• This is a Known Issue: bug id is 663508

SSH Connection issue from BIG-IP to backend servers

Solution

Modify SSH Client configuration

Open up the /config/ssh/ssh_config file and make the following change

Before: Ciphers aes128-cbc,aes256-cbc

After: Ciphers aes128-cbc,aes256-cbc,aes256-ctr,aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr

Ichnafi
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus

Are you sure that bug ID is correct? Bug Tracker can not find any results.

Sunny_291145
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

When I had an issue in Nov-2017 I opend up a case with F5 and they provided me this bug-ID.