Forum Discussion

epaalx
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Feb 28, 2012

Where LTM's getting its configuration?

Hi F5'ers,

I'm running 10.2.2HF3 in HA.

Manually I've changed /config/bigip*.conf, specifically, removed references and configuration of non-Common Partitions.

There's a known fault in pre-10.2.3 that prevents "b import" and I guess it applies to "b load", so, I know that won't work. However, my understanding is that "bigstart stop/start" or reboot should reload using /config/bigip*.conf, but it doesn't!! The reloaded configuration still looks like old-configuration (ie. with Partitions), even though "grep -i partition /config/bipip*.conf" shows nothing except Common!!

Where is LTM getting its configuration?

R's, Alex

3 Replies

• Hi Alex,

What error do you get when running 'b load'? That should work to force a reload of the config from file into memory.

Else, you can remove the binary config file cache (this requires an outage though):

bigstart stop

rm /var/db/mcp.*

bigstart start

sol13030: Forcing the mcpd process to reload configuration

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/13000/000/sol13030.html

SOL6622: Change in Behavior: Beginning in version 9.4, BIG-IP loads its configuration from binary image files instead of text-based files at system startup

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/6000/600/sol6622.html

Aaron
  • Hi Hoolio, thanks for answer, I was about to post the information you included, kudos to F5 support engineer.

> What error do you get when running 'b load'? That should work to force a reload of the config from file into memory.

I believe (and F5 support engineer tentatively agreed) that SOL11933: "A VLAN cannot be moved between partitions during a single configuration file import operation" is not limited to just the import but also to "b load" and "b verify load".

Just for completeness:

> you can remove the binary config file cache (this requires an outage though)

or (as per sol13030) "touch /service/mcpd/forceload" will also do it.

• Thanks for clarifying what the issue was. I figure a bigstart stop/stop is faster than a reboot :)

Aaron