cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Login & Join the DevCentral Connects Group to watch the Recorded LiveStream (May 12) on Basic iControl Security - show notes included.

VLANs in BIGIP

genseek_32178
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus

Hi Experts,

We are using BIGIP 10.2.1.

Is there is a limit to the number of VLANs that can be created on a BIGIP box based on version? If yes, how many for 10.2.1 and what is the way to overcome the limitation.?

thanks - genseek

3 REPLIES 3

What_Lies_Bene1
Cirrostratus
Cirrostratus
I don't believe there is a version specific limit (although I can't be 100% certain), I'm pretty sure it's always been 4096.

I don't think this can be 'overcome' in any way. Regardless, I think you would run into difficulties around MAC address, ARP entry and switch FDB entry limits before you could really use the VLAN maximum successfully. Of course VIPRION would be the answer if you really, really needed that many. =]

genseek_32178
Nimbostratus
Nimbostratus
thank you for the response. Is there a limitation in number of vlans when shared mac address is used by VLANs?

What_Lies_Bene1
Cirrostratus
Cirrostratus

Nothing is mentioned in this article (and I can't think why there would be a limitation myself): http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/12000/700/sol12724 - note the two possible issues detailed at the end too.