Forum Discussion

Pete_L_112517
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 04, 2014

View maximum usage of APM CCU

Hi,

I'm trying to determine the maximum usage we've ever reached of our APM licenses.

We're looking at adding more services through our F5 appliances but want to make sure we're covered for licenses. I can see the actual current usage:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost F5-BIGIP-APM-MIB::apmAccessStatCurrentActiveSessions

But that only gives me a count at the current moment. I'd like to know if I there's a way that I can check that say over a week I can see that the maximum CCU at a point in time was 250 for instance.

Thanks.

5 Replies

• You probably will have to leverage something like Cacti or MRTG to graph the data over time. The statistics page does include a graph called "Active Sessions", but it is limited in the amount of detail and only keeps 30 days of data.

HTH

• Under statistics, performance. You will find "Active Network Access Connections". Change the time period to 30 days and that should show you the maximum VPN client connections over the last month.

Hamish
      Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
      Try Active Sessions. Network Access Connections would be only SSL connections. Active Sessions should be the counter you want for actual APM sessions
    Hamish

Network access connections in the stats page is only the number of people running an SSL VPN though. The number of APM connections is going to be somewhat higher, depending on how your clients connect.

Note that v11.2.1 has a few problems with the SNMP stats on the number of connections too. Every now & again the system will forget to decrement the number of connections when someone disconnects... It happens frequently enough that one of my APM's currently announces the proud number of 120,000 APM sessions...

Hamish

Note that 'Active Sessions' in the perf stats (Which I believe mirrors the SNMP stats), ALSO suffers form the ever incrementing counter problem.

I haven;t seen this in 11.5.1 though (Although my 11.5.1 services don't get nearly the number of sessions through them as the older ones I have).

H