Forum Discussion

Subrun
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Feb 26, 2020

SysLog UDP Load Balancing

Hello,

1st of all I require some guideline/suggestion here. I am configuring a Virtual Server from F5 listening on 514 and translating port to 8514 at backend servers. Idea is Systems will send the syslog through this F5 and F5 VIP will eventually send logs to Backend Syslog Connectors.

Traffic Flow is like below

Client >> F5 VIP_IP [ 2.2.2.2] ( Service Port 514 ) ( UDP Profile with FastL4 Profile ) -- >> Backend Syslog Connector 2.2.2.6, 7 on 8514 Port.

Clearly to specify VIP IP and Backend IP are in the same subnet hence I do not need to enable SNAT. Also I was thinking if I enable SNAT at backend how do they identify actually who send the Log. What is the Guideline for this to make sure Syslog can see actual source and Syslog Servers follow return traffic through F5 ?. ( Note that Servers gateway are at Network Device not in F5 )

Also if I set monitor TCP or Gateway ICMP Pool Goes Down. Pool is live only if I set Monitor as UDP. Why is that ?

How I should check that UDP Traffic is load balanced. But this is less important as I need to be sure about the Traffic Flow.

Please advise.

Below is the Virtual Server Config

tmsh list ltm virtual Virtual_Server all-properties

[api-status-warning] ltm/virtual, properties : deprecated : mobile-app-tunnel, urldb-feed-policy

ltm virtual Virtual_Server {

address-status yes

app-service none

auth none

auto-lasthop default

bwc-policy none

clone-pools none

cmp-enabled yes

connection-limit 0

creation-time 2020-02-25:18:47:05

description "Supports Syslog"

destination 2.2.2.2:514

enabled

fallback-persistence none

flow-eviction-policy none

gtm-score 0

ip-protocol udp

last-hop-pool none

last-modified-time 2020-02-25:20:04:58

mask 255.255.255.255

metadata none

mirror disabled

mobile-app-tunnel disabled

nat64 disabled

partition Common

per-flow-request-access-policy none

persist none

policies none

pool SYSLOG_Pool

profiles {

fastL4 {

context all

}

}

rate-class none

rate-limit disabled

rate-limit-dst-mask 0

rate-limit-mode object

rate-limit-src-mask 0

related-rules none

rules none

security-log-profiles none

service-down-immediate-action none

service-policy none

source 0.0.0.0/0

source-address-translation {

pool none

type none

}

source-port preserve

syn-cookie-status not-activated

traffic-classes none

traffic-matching-criteria none

translate-address enabled

translate-port enabled

transparent-nexthop none

urldb-feed-policy none

vlans {

vlan_222

}

vlans-enabled

vs-index 97

}

8 Replies

• You're setup is essentially one-armed LB. You must have a SNAT enabled so that traffic returns through BIG-IP; the SYSLOG messages should be in the UDP payload anyway, so I don't think there would be a problem using SNAT.

Regarding your monitors, yes SYSLOG can also work over TCP 514 but is your server listening on TCP as well as UDP? Either way, I would suggest it makes more sense to have a UDP monitor in this case. Not that I like UDP monitors, but you might need to use it along with a secondary monitor (it's only UDP!). If you can ping or telnet to your servers from F5, then TCP and ICMP should work. Not sure why you want to use gateway_icmp as opposed to just ICMP.

A quick google, brings up this article: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K6143

To check the LB of your pool, look at the stats.

• Having F5 VIP and backend server in same subnet does not mean SNAT is not required. If you do not want to enable SNAT, your syslog server default gateway should be F5 so it will complete the session. Else you must have SNAT enabled to complete session.

Hope it helps!

Mayur

Subrun

Thank You Both of you for reply.

But Look like SysLog team is not able to get the Actual Source from Syslog Payload. So from F5 side what I can do while this is also not possible to set the Gateway of Backend Servers to F5 rather than now at L3 Network Firewall ?

•   Then you can configure X-Forwarder-For under http profile. So F5 will add client IP under http header and send it to syslog server. So syslog will be able see source IP address with SNAT enabled on F5.

But there is configuration to be done on syslog/server end too in order to extract http header.

Ref link - https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K4816

Mayur

Subrun

Hello Mayur,

If You see attached image there is no HTTP Profile as this is a Performance Layer 4 VIP and Service Port is listening on 514 UDP Port. Hence it does not allow me to set that ( X-Forwarded ) option from HTTP Profile.

danmassa7
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

We are also standing up a VIP to receive UDP syslog traffic on 514.  We then want to send it to a cluster of back-end LogStash servers on UDP port 6008.

Since UDP syslog is unacknowledged uni-directional traffic it seems we don't need to setup an SNAT.   Without the SNAT the packet with its original src addr will arrive at the LogStash servers.

Does that sound fine?  That's what we were planning, but have not put it in place yet.