Forum Discussion

Apr 25, 2016
Solved

SSH window closes immediately after login

I cannot open a SSH session to the mgmt IP address of my BIG-IP. As soon as I enter the password in the CLI, the session closes. Has anyone else had this issue before? I'm having a hard time finding the SSH options within the F5 GUI in order to see what I have configured there.

• Hello Sarah,

This sounds like you may be trying to connect via SSH with a "admin" account that does not have the terminal enabled.

SSH in as root and take a look at the accounts settings in tmsh with "(tmos) list auth user admin"

Does it contain? "shell none"

If so, you can enable it in the GUI using System >> Users >> User List >> admin >> Terminal Access. Set the value to 'Advanced Shell' or 'TMSH' depending on your login preference.

Using TMSH it would be: "(tmos) modify auth user admin shell bash"

2 Replies

Seth_81884
    Historic F5 Account

Hello Sarah,

This sounds like you may be trying to connect via SSH with a "admin" account that does not have the terminal enabled.

SSH in as root and take a look at the accounts settings in tmsh with "(tmos) list auth user admin"

Does it contain? "shell none"

If so, you can enable it in the GUI using System >> Users >> User List >> admin >> Terminal Access. Set the value to 'Advanced Shell' or 'TMSH' depending on your login preference.

Using TMSH it would be: "(tmos) modify auth user admin shell bash"

Sarah_258804
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      That's exactly what I was doing. Sorry I forgot to update this question. Thank you for the explanation!