Forum Discussion

Prince
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Apr 12, 2016

SMB Monitor Not working

Hi All,

I am trying to configure SMB monitor on F5 in order to test out load balancing between 2 Windows File Server. We couldn't get the smb monitor to work. The status is always shown as down. I am using BIG-IP 9.4.8 Build 407.0 Hotfix HF4.

Please advise the best possible way to start with troubleshooting this issue.

What command can i Use to manually test the monitor?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

• SMB port is 445. So I would say check to see if the port is open from your ltm to the file server...telnet test perhaps and see if you get a response back.

• I'm not sure if you ever got the SMB monitor to work or not, but I've been having issues as well. For testing outside of that pre-defined monitor, I logged into the CLI (bash shell) and configured /etc/samba/smb.conf to use my network's WINS servers for netbios resolution; (the other option, if you don't have WINS servers, is to create an LMHOSTS file). I then used this command to perform a simple browse of the root of the CIFS share:

smbclient /// -U % -W  -c "ls;"

I'm on vacation now, but when I get back, I'm going to re-try the SMB monitor to see if it works. F5's documentation is severely lacking for this monitor and their engineers don't seem to know much about it either.