Forum Discussion

AlexS_yb
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Jan 31, 2022
Solved

request logging profile want to log client certificate details

Hi

I am setting a requets logging profile and I want to log the client certificate that was associated with the request that comes through.

I have a irule that adds it as a header to pool, but that doesn't seems to be available in the request portition and the backend server doesn't send it back

how can I access client cert information in request-log

• Seems like there is an enginerring request to get client cert info  into requet-log.

So for now, I have to rewrite as a irule

3 Replies

• can you sanitize what you have with your logging profile and iRule and post where you are?

AlexS_yb

tmsh create ltm profile request-log ybrequest-log-20220126
      tmsh modify ltm profile request-log ybrequest-log-20220126 app-service none defaults-from ybrequest-log \
      #
      #request-log-template '$BIGIP_HOSTNAME , $VIRTUAL_NAME , "$\{Host\}",RQ,$CLIENT_IP,$CLIENT_PORT,$DATE_NCSA,$HTTP_METHOD,$HTTP_URI,$HTTP_VERSION,\"${User-agent}\",\"${X-Forwarded-SSL-cert-subject}\","$\{YBID\}","$\{ybmethod\}","$\{DEBTSTHREAD\}"' \
      #response-log-template '$BIGIP_HOSTNAME , $VIRTUAL_NAME , "$\{Host\}",RS,$CLIENT_IP,$CLIENT_PORT,$DATE_NCSA,$HTTP_METHOD,$HTTP_URI,$HTTP_VERSION,\"${User-agent}\",\"${X-Forwarded-SSL-cert-subject}\","$\{YBID\}","$\{ybmethod\}","$\{DEBTSTHREAD\}",$VIRTUAL_POOL_NAME,$SERVER_IP,$SERVER_PORT,$SNAT_IP,$SNAT_PORT,$HTTP_STATCODE,$RESPONSE_SIZE,$RESPONSE_MSECS,"$\{X-time\}"'
      #

is the header added by the irule

X-Forwarded-SSL-cert-subject

the irule looks something like 

set certsubject [X509::subject $cert]
      HTTP::header insert X-Forwarded-SSL-DN $certsubject

Not sure why thus makes a difference. The general question is how to log client cert info in request-log 

AlexS_yb

Seems like there is an enginerring request to get client cert info  into requet-log.

So for now, I have to rewrite as a irule