Forum Discussion

Jun 14, 2022

"Illegal reference" when attempting to upgrade F5OS to V1.1 on a R5900 platform

Hello,

I have a  brand new R5900 coming with F5OS V.1.0  When attempting to upgrade it to V1.1 by selecting the 1.1 OS & Version, a popup window with the legend "Illegal reference." comes up.

I typed the "upload" button twice or 3 times, causing thereby a failure in the upload process and probably a corrupted image in the file system. This is exactly the same problem reported in https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K58134586 " "Error when trying to upgrade from GUI: Server Error -- Illegal reference". But the solutions posted there do not work for me.

The command "show system image" shows the image 1.1.0-7645 as "ready". But the command "show system image install" returns "in-progress" indefinitely:

show system image install

system image install install-status in-progress  <-- "in progress" status gets stuck indefinitely.

If i try to remove the new image with the command "system image remove os _1.1.0-7645, the device returns:

Error: error image _1.1.0-7645: unexpected response back from API

Re-uploading the image, or rebooting the platform do not overcome the issue.

Is there a way to purge the new image straight on file system?

5 Replies

• F5 Support engineers fixed this problem in a remote session, by modifying some internal files of the equipment. Product Engineering is now aware of the issue.
    Meanwhile BEWARE: If running F5OS V1.0, DO NOT press the UPLOAD button MORE THAN ONCE when attempting to upgrade to a new version: After pressing the Upload button, GUI keeps silent, like doing nothing, for a few minutes before showing the new version in the list. If you press the Upload button again amid such meantime, your R5800 may fall into this problem.

JRahm
      Icon for Admin rankAdmin

thanks for posting back! Will accept as solution on your behalf unless you want the honors?

• With F5OS being new, the tribal knowledge might take a while to spin up. I'd make sure you have a case open on this concurrently in the event you don't get a timely response. If you get an answer before someone provides it, please post back!

• Sure. I recently opened a case. When It gets solved I'll post the solution.

• Whenever I find something useful regarding my query, I post it as it might be useful to others. If such tip helps someone, I feel more than satisfied. That's all. Thank you!