Forum Discussion

JustCooLpOOLe
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Mar 02, 2021
Solved

Pulling Email Address from CAC as opposed to UPN

Hi,

I'm trying to work on a fallback solution to where instead of a UPN being presented by a user certificate for on-demand cert auth, we can pull the email address similar to this article: https://devcentral.f5.com/s/articles/How-to-Extract-the-UPN-from-a-Digital-Certificate-on-a-CAC-card-using-F5-APM

When I view the x509extensions, I can see the field "email:" and then the email address but unfortunately, I don't think I'm getting it. I'm using the logic from the link above to try and pull that value into a variable assign within APM. Has anyone had any success with it? The x509extension field shows as "email:firstname.lastname@domain". Just curious if anyone has configured this.

Thanks in advance!

boneyard
    Mar 02, 2021

great it works, on to the next challenge indeed.

3 Replies

• you are doing on-demand cert auth right? because a cert is required to have those session.ssl.cert.x509extension filled.

when you look at your APM session variables after authentication can you find the session.ssl.cert.x509extension variable with any content?

JustCooLpOOLe
      Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

Yeah. I think I figured it out. I just needed to adjust the logic within the original link I specified. Now I'm onto trying to do a search filter with either value in a AD Query.

boneyard
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

great it works, on to the next challenge indeed.