Forum Discussion

Igx
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Aug 04, 2020

One server many apps

Hello, i have 3 applications running on one server(appserver). How can i setup 3 Virtual Server where access to app is:

1) appserver/app1

2) appserver/app2

3) appserver/app3

I cant add node with fqdn+context. I can add only appserver. How to manage traffic to those apps?

6 Replies

• Hello,

What version of BIG-IP do you use?

You can use L7 policy for this purpose "Local Traffic ›› Policies : Policy List".

You need to create L7 policy with 3 rules with different ASM policy each and assign this L7 policy to your VS via "Policies" in "Resources" tab for VS.

AFAIU, in your case you need to use next rules:

1. HTTP URI pass start with "appserver/app1" -> Enable asm policy1
    2. HTTP URI pass start with "appserver/app2" -> Enable asm policy2
    3. HTTP URI pass start with "appserver/app3" -> Enable asm policy3
    4. All traffic -> disable asm

Thanks, Ivan

Igx

Hello,

im using v13.1, but how sholud i setup nodes for those apps?

• Aaah, sorry, looks like I misunderstood you... you want to create 3 virtual servers for one backend. Right?

Why you don't want to create one VS for this backend?

Igx

I want create 3 VS for 3 apps. Normally, i will setup 3 VS and 3 nodes. But now i dont know how to setup nodes when these 3 application running on 1 IP. The difference is only uri. App1 backend is on appserver/app1. App2 backend is on appserver/app2. Only URI has change, but in node i can put fqdn or ip address. I cant setup node like appserver/app1. I hope now its more clear:)

Thanks for answering.

• Yes, node is related to IP or FQDN. So, you need to have different IP or FQDN, or create one node and assign it to 3 VS.

In second case, after assigning the same node to each VS, you can create appropriate L7 policy for each VS to allow only traffic with appropriate appserver/app* (is it URL?) pass to backend through appropriate VS.

Igx

Yes, appserver/app* is URL of application. Ok, i have never used L7 Policy, have to read about it more. Thanks for answering, it really help me.