Forum Discussion

Eric_Stewart_36
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Aug 08, 2018

Migrate from 3600 to i4600

I have two 3600 in HA running software 11.5.1. I want to replace these with two i4600 running 12.1.2. If I understand correctly, in order to get all four devices talking and then using config sync to get the config onto the new F5s, I would need to upgrade the legacy devices from 11.5.1 to 12.1.2. I really would rather not mess with the legacy devices. Is there any other way to get the config onto the new devices short of keying it all in manually?

Thanks!

1 Reply

• Hi,

the fastest and easiest way is:

• First of to upgrade your 3600 to version 12.1.2 HF2 (supported by 3600).
    • Upgrade both i4600 to HF2
    • remove 3600 standby from cluster (just remove it from the network).
    • from 3600 active member delete clustring setting by reseting device trust (Device Management ›› Device Trust : Local Domain)
    • once you remove clusturing from 3600 active you can begin to configure one i4600 with the same setings that standby 3600 that you remove from the network (vlan,Self IP, route, plateform with the same hostname that standby 3600, ConfigSync Configuration, Failover Configuration, Mirroring Configuration...) configure just what you need for setup the cluster, you don't need to configure Floating IP, they will be sync from Active memeber.
    • In th HA vlan don't forget to set Port Lockdown in order to let HA work correctly.
    • Then from Active 3600 set up the cluster with i4600 then sync.

Then do the same for active memeber.

I have described the procedure in broad outline. if you need more details, I am at your disposal. it's a procedure I've already followed and I have not had a problem ...

F5 article: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K15496

but as you can noticed you have to be in the same version in all case (you can try to downgrade also...)

Hope it will help you. keep me update.

regards,